Has anyone had water tested via Triton Labs (UniqueCorals.com)?

I'm not going to use the Triton method either but the analysis shows I have a heavy metal problem. That is very useful information and well worth the $50. Other than a polyfilter, I don't see what else I can do because I can't find a test kit sensitive e enough to find the source.

Exactly what I agree with ^

IMO it is worth the may be 6 mo or 1 time per year test to see how your doing but like someone mentioned about the whole snake oil thing above I count agree more!!!

It has been widely advertised by a write and a Dam good one writer writing over and over paragraph after paragraph as to why you need this their test and method.

This now a huge following he has done his job well!!!

I can see right through this and I'll tell ya why back in early 2000 we where dumping a full cup of part A and Part B (The latest craze at the time called B-ionic) and din't know any better LOL. I could color and grow coral like no tomorrow and get frags in a few months off them. Is this Triton needed with all the current technology and education we now have today?

IMO Nope I don't even run Carbon any more Never have run Bio Pellets or GFO either and my tank takes care of itself and is very stable. I feel this is how everyone should run their tanks may be they should be education on how to develop a stable environment for their inhabitants so they don't need all the extra confusing products on the market since no one really knows what or how the are made or what consists of their makeup. JMO

I'm not going to use the Triton method either but the analysis shows I have a heavy metal problem. That is very useful information and well worth the $50. Other than a polyfilter, I don't see what else I can do because I can't find a test kit sensitive e enough to find the source.

I bet the heavy metal is from your salt mix. Also with that low a concentration, I don't know if there is any impact at all.

A variety of salt mixes have already been tested and do not have heavy metal problems. Both reef crystals and red sea have been tested.

A variety of salt mixes have already been tested and do not have heavy metal problems. Both reef crystals and red sea have been tested.

Did you check out the links posted by Delta?

If you look at some of the threads on other boards about this topic a lot of people have excess tin. Randy has a poll on Reef2Reef about it. I don't see anyone else with elevated lead. I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro which seems to be used by many. I think it unlikely its the salt. No one seems to know what level is toxic to invertebrates. I don't think long term exposure to even low levels is good thing. Lead is an insidious poison.

Last edited:
I am not yet be able to understand how useful this Triton testing can be besides the industry is pushing it as a "revolutionary" thing.
But in my opinion, I am not convince how useful it is:

1. The analysis result is significantly reflecting on what salt mix you use.

2. If element X is lacking, how do you dose it to the "right" level? Do you know the exact water volume of your reef (total volume minus the volume of rock, sand, coral etc)? If you don't, how can you dose?

3. Do you know if element X is below the "natural" level, is there any scientific study indicating the level of element X will impact coral health?

4. If Element Y is in excess, how to you selectively take it out?

By looking at the test example above, I am not sure what to do with those information.

Triton lab has a beautiful display tank in Germany, but there are tons of beautiful tanks around the world in the same caliber that do not use Triton method.

So, I just feel the Triton method is a hair splitting snake oil using fancy sounding (but very common) technology. But someone please convince me it is otherwise. Thanks
This is how I feel. Also, without testing your water at least once/week for 5-6 weeks, how do you know how much to keep dosing?
What about when corals grow? Do you re-test for 4-6 weeks every 5 or 6 months?

Can someone tell me why nitrate and alk is not included in the testing?

Tank using red sea regular salt with low heavy metals:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23220149&postcount=46
in thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23220149#post23220149

Tank with red sea blue bucket:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23247377&postcount=24
in thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2454826

I use reef crystals and just have elevated tin:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23231189&postcount=17

Randy may know of more results.

Haven't seen results of anyone spending 50$ to test pure unused salt water and that would be helpful. Could be some people run carbon for example that cleans up contaminated fresh salt water.

First of all, I don't think these test is meaningful.
The key is concentration, not if a metal is there or not.
Also, this kind of test does not tell you if a metal is in bioavailable form or not, for example Copper.

Also, Liveaquaria use exclusively ReefCrystal in their coral farm, you cant argue with those experts.

First of all, I don't think these test is meaningful.
The key is concentration, not if a metal is there or not.
Also, this kind of test does not tell you if a metal is in bioavailable form or not, for example Copper.

All true, but wouldn't it be better to err on the side of caution? After seeing the results from the different salts I don't think it would hurt to run a polyfilter once in a while.

All true, but wouldn't it be better to err on the side of caution? After seeing the results from the different salts I don't think it would hurt to run a polyfilter once in a while.

very true, poly filter is very useful and I have been using it on and off.

Got my results back

1_zps7f267539.png

2_zpsc943cd4f.png

Found the lack of iron interesting considering i dose it. My calcium is a lot higher than what my RS test kit showed (430) that same day. Mg is high because I was just coming off a tek m treatment. Was happy to no lead or Mercury or any other heavy metals from the cfl bulb incident 9 months ago. Tin seems to be a common high reading in a lot of these tests. A lot of hypothesis going on other boards, but no seems to really know. My silicates are crazy high, but I don't have a diatom issue.

Will I be taking any action because of this? Nope, nor will I probably ever do it again. It was $50 curiosity for me.

Edit: actually that's not true, I will be dosing iron more. I think my macros are really sucking it up.

I use IO Reef crystals.

I also dose Red Sea color A, B, C & D, but I dose their suggested daily amount once a week on Sunday. My test water was drawn on Friday. I also dose iron at the same time. I use dissolved fergon tablets in RODI water

I run seachem seagel and rox carbon. Have a fuge with chaeto and ornamental algae 310 gallons total.

Choff

Do you tend to have high ALK. I have been using reef crystals again and my alk is high. Around 12 with Red Sea test.

Choff, I wonder if the Al and Si are connected? Are you using marine pure bio filter media? Some other ceramic?

Choff

Do you tend to have high ALK. I have been using reef crystals again and my alk is high. Around 12 with Red Sea test.

I used to, but of late im battling low alk. I think that is a result of calcium imbalance.

Choff, I wonder if the Al and Si are connected? Are you using marine pure bio filter media? Some other ceramic?

Very interesting. I swapped out all of my live rock 3 months ago for a ceramic rocksscape. Cerameco vidarock. I never thought of that.

Back