Help with Coral Issues

IMHO if this situation occurs again just be more proactive about cleanup and it shouldn't continue down hill as long. Doing so would not adversely affect the fish in the system.

For sure. Ive adopted this policy in my own practices not just for my tank but in landscape as well

Attacking potential problems that is

Whatever caused your stn, it seems like it is slowing or going away. You've adjusted so many things and if you think about it, you've "eased up" on your system. Take for example the temp, at the low end, alk was getting low, lighting possibly on the high end (although I don't remember a par measurement so I'm not sure) and if you got "something" in the tank to start the domino effect then this could all make sense and hopefully you're on the upside. Stability and water changes should get you across the finish line.

With your lights being on the tank so long and unless your pumping 700-800 par out, I don't see that being THE reason..... Same with temp, alk etc etc.

You've seen my sps tank, led with recent t5 retros that has been up and running for 2.5 years. Temp goes from 78-80 depending on the time of year, lighting is putting out 500par mid tank and the alk has been in the 7-8.5 range over that span.

You may never know the reason and I wouldn't switch anything out (don't think anyone is recommending that) so keep it stable and change out the water and you'll be set.

Swing down my place one day, I'll give you a few sps to replace what you lost :)

Sounds good, thank you! I have never measured PAR, so can't comment on that. I have seen what these lights are capable though, so imagine its up there. I appreciate all of your comments/help.

There are things we can not account for and when you have a heavily stocked tank when things go wrong and it can take longer to right. And sometimes you just end up taking it on the chin. Bacteria and other stressors, we can't measure for or even identify, can do a lot of damage. So as stated before, sometimes we just never know.

But in this case I do believe this is simple die off causing more die of. IMHO if this situation occurs again just be more proactive about cleanup and it shouldn't continue down hill as long. Doing so would not adversely affect the fish in the system.

Proactive measures would be more frequent water changes, changing out filter media frequently, RODI filter/resin replacement, removing dead corals/frag dead sections, super gluing coral tissue to stop RTN/STN, lowering light intensity.

In the future pay attention to your coral tissue above and beyond the color and polyp extension. A magnifying glass or macro lens is key for this.

Thank you Greg. I will definitely be more proactive in the future.

Marshall 0, any updates on things? Can you summarize what adjustments you have made and what results you're noticing?

Back