Hlle

My poor little white-tailed angelfish, Centropyge flavicauda has the beginnings of HLLE. She was in a QT tank for about 10 weeks, treated with copper, and of course exposed to high nitrates and ammonia due to nature of the treatment and despite frequent water changes. She and all my other fish are now back in the reef which is how I first noticed the problem (the lighting and algae in the QT made it all but invisible there.) While in QT all fish were getting nori on a bi-weekly basis, along with a variety of flake (Omega One), mysis, brine shrimp, spirulina brine, or bloodworms.

I've been doing a bunch of reading, and here's what I'm planning:

Pristine water conditions (obviously)
Feeding multiple types of nori along with the typical food

Is there anything else I should be doing? The best reference I found was here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/sp/index.php

and unfortunately it was still unclear (as are we all, I believe) on treatment and anything resembling a cure. Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

My exp has been that I've never had any HLLE issues since I went reef, and I have seen fish totally recover from mild HLLE when put into a reef.

Going on that, doing nothing may well be a viable solution :)

(Or rather do just what your planning on - keep the water nice and feed a healthy and varied diet)

There have also been questions raised about stray electrical current, IIRC using a grounding probe was usually reccomended to fix that.

Back