Homemade Frozen Food

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I have been asked this question often and I will like to share what I feed my fish and coral.

First of all, when fish meat and seafood are blended together into a mush, it doesn’t matter if the meaty substance is from salmon, whitefish, or “Puff the magic dragon”. It just plain solid wholesome goodness.

Second, I don’t know why people are feeding fresh water mysis shrimps to marine fish and coral, so there is no reason to add PE Mysis into the mix.

Third, by keeping it simple and use human grade fish seafood, you can be sure you are giving your beloved pets the best you can offer, not something that swept off fishing docks and blended with water.

So here we go the simple way to make your fish and coral happy:

1 part of raw salmon
1 part of raw shrimp
1 part of raw scallops (optional)

Soak in tap water for 15 minutes then rinse well in the sink to remove phosphate coating (seafood and fish are required by law to coated with phosphate in order to suppress bacteria growth to meet safety standards)

Steal the favorite blender from your significant other, if you don’t have a significant other, go steal one from your mother. Put the above mentioned raw material in the blender Without adding any water, then blend the ingredients into mush.

Scoop the mush into ziplock bags and pat them flat, put them in the freezer.

This stuff is potent so only feed a small amount to your fish tank.
For tangs, supplement with dry pellets.

Last, wash the blender over and over again or you will be sleeping in the garage (or the homeless shelter nears you).

Here is what my homemade frozen food looks like:
43C244B6-EBDE-4925-B688-6A1EE75519C0.jpeg

I loved doing this, but it almost isn't cost effective with the cost of seafood nowdays. I added the 3 above plus squid and clams.

The scallops alone will break the bank lol.

The cost of salmon at Market Basket is about $11 per lb, shrimp is $6 per lb. It makes no difference if you add scallops, clam or squid or not as it does not add more nutritional benefit. Salmon is rich in fatty acids.
Some popular frozen food cost about $40 to $60 per lb with a lot of water added.
The most important thing is that you know you are feeding quality stuff instead of unknown substances.

Great idea. I'm sure bigger fishes wouldn't have issues consuming these, but I'm more curious about smaller fishes. In my head I'm envisioning the mixture could be too large for them when it's dumped into the tank?

It is a mush, small fish has no problems eating it.
For small fish, I have 6 line wrasse, small clownfish, blue chromis, neon dotty back, royal gramma etc all eating it like no tomorrow.

If anyone want to try it out. I can sell you a 4 Oz pack for $5. Just need to let me know in advance as I make a batch every Monday to use for the week, I can make extra.

Dong
I would very much like around try a 4 oz bag to see how my corals respond. Also want to stop by for more Superman monti.
Errol

Dong
I would very much like around try a 4 oz bag to see how my corals respond. Also want to stop by for more Superman monti.
Errol
Sure, please let me know when you can come over, thanks

Tried my hand making a batch last night, was easier than I'd thought! And way less gross... (not a big seafood fan, ironically enough) Market Basket had salmon bits for half the price of full salmon fillets, and bay scallops instead of sea scallops for nearly half the price. I did get a bag of frozen shelled and deveined uncooked shrimp because I didn't want to deal with the shelling and all, which added a bit of cost, but well worth it for me. Tried using the cheap little Hamilton Beach blender I have, but that completely sucked. Threw it in my Ninja, and that worked fantastic. If I have to buy a replacement, whatever. Seems to have cleaned up well. Looking forward to seeing how the fish like it later!

Dong, you mentioned you make a batch weekly. Does it not keep well or something? The relatively small batch I made will last me a couple months, I figure...

The salmon I use has no skin on it. For shrimp, shells off and tails off.

At my Market Basket I had to check several days in a row for the $6.99 Salmon Bits, but eventually they did have them on the 4th or 5th day I looked.

Blender clean up really wasn't even all that bad. I think Mrs John will be talking to me again by Sunday or so.

Back