How does it work? Vol 2: Ca reactors

FishyIdea said:
Lets bring it down to the bottom line!

For those keeping "mixed reefs" (a little of everything), at what tank size does having a reactor become more convenient than dosing or dripping kalk?

from the beginning
For those keeping "mixed reefs" (a little of everything), at what tank size does having a reactor become more cost efficient than dosing or dripping kalk?

ohh tough one. I am going to say that a reactor is more expensive for anything under 75g. (guess) a top notch co2 set up can cost upwards of 1K. plus electric and co2

For those keeping "mixed reefs" (a little of everything), at what tank size does having a reactor become essential to the health of your reef?
this is the big answer. and i really feel that consistancy is key for a thriving reef. those willing to settle for less, get less. a reactor goes a long way IMO

For all your reactor-related spending, what percent was driven by gadget-lust and what percent was driven by good old Yankee dollar-for-value analysis?
i based mine on "how often am I going to have to mess with this thing" I bought an $$ reactor becasue i thought the ease of use was worth every penny. same goes for my skimmer too.

You could also answer each of these questions from the point of the SPS-only tank as well. I know there are a lot of you out there.

Joe

Last edited:
How much will dripping effluent directly into a skimmer raise the effluents PH?

What are the negative effects of dripping effluent directly into the skimmer on the skimmers performance? (pros & cons)

What are the benefits of a reverse flow reactor if any at all?

I have a few questions about Ca reactors and thought I'd post here instead of opening a new thread so that the info is all in one place (Moe, feel free to open a new thread with this post if you feel it's more appropriate)

Due to personal reasons, I'm thinking of getting a Ca reactor basically to reduce maintenance time and complexity on the tank, namely replace kalkwasser dripping -- my container is small and needs to be refilled with water and kalk every 3 days, which involves getting the container out of the stand, cleaning it, mixing new kalkwasser and dragging it into the stand again... now, before anyone acuses me of lazyness ;) , let me clarify: I may be travelling a lot soon and my wife would be taking care of the tank, so making it as simple and as short as possible is key.

I'm envisioning this as something that you "set and forget" (after the initial adjustments, of course). Obviously the auto top-off container (now used for kalkwasser) will still need to be refilled with RODI periodically, but this will be much less time consuming and much less complex that the kalk mixing.

Are these expectations realistic? Or will I still need to drip kalkwasser due to pH issues (which would defeat the whole purpose of the Ca reactor in this case)?

I've been researching makes/models a bit (based on suggestions earlier on this thread), and thought that this might be a good bet: http://geosreef.com/calcuim_reactors_612.htm It's a single chamber design, but supposedly it reuses/recirculates leftover CO2, so I'm wondering if it would have a comparable impact on pH as a 2-chamber design... any experiences with this brand/model?

Other suggestions are most welcome, but keep in mind that it can't be too large/tall (I have very limited space inside the stand) and price is also an issue.

Thanks,
Nuno

I purchased and setup the geo reef reactor in december, very simple and easy to setup. I found it very stable and works well. it can take time to dial it in right especially if your alk is off to start. they are fairly low maintenance but i think most ppl will recommend to still drip kalc and run the reactor. us you kalk sysytem seperate or part of the top off water system?

James, thanks for replying so quickly... may I ask what numbers you are seeing from using your reactor (effluent pH, tank pH, etc...)? Are you also dripping kalk? And what size and kind of tank (mixed, mainly SPS, etc)?

Edit: I should have added that this is for a 75g tank.

I'm using my auto top-off system to dose kalk instead of adding RODI (ie, all evaporated water is being replaced with saturated kalkwasser)... and I still need to dose with b-ionic occasionally (once a week, approximately) to bring up alk and calcium (I try to keep Ca at 440, alk at 11 dkH).

Nuno

I see I never thanked Scott for his answers to my cost\benefit questions. That's just bad form, so thanks Scott!

I found I was able to follow this technical article without too much trouble and it also provides cost\benefit info.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/index/

Feb. 2003
CHEMISTRY AND THE AQUARIUM
by RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY
"How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme"

I have a calcium reactor I bought like 2 years ago and still have no clue how to use it. Thank goodness for B-ionic.

:D

Wow, this is an oldie but a goody. I am reclaiming my reef and have forgotten more than I remember. This is an awesome thread and full of great calcium reactor wisdom. Guess I better get the Co2 canister replaced and pick up some fresh media. Some fun cleaning of the skimmer and reactor coming my way.....

Back