How does it work? Vol 5: Refugiums

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Okay, I picked a topic from the list. ;)
Can someone please give us a working definition of a refugium, then we can discuss the benefits, the hazards, how to set one up, and what to keep (and to avoid) in a refugium.

I picked this topic because I've heard a few questions on refugiums from newer folks, because they've not really been dealt with in the past few weeks, and because I thought there was the potential to go on for a long time and have a really good discussion.

There are other subjects in the suggestion list I want to hit, so please don't feel I'm ignoring any ideas.

Now, on to refugiums....

Quoting Anthony Calfo:

"...refugiums are remote vessels (an aquarium or other water holding compartment) that share water in part or full time with the main system for the purpose of culturing targeted organisms in refugia (a place of safe haven)."

Ya know... over the last two years, in my quest to better understand the purpose of refugia for our systems, I've seen no better definition than Calfo's as written in the Reef Invertebrates book (and quoted above). It is clear, concise, leaving room for interpretation or specialized implementation by the end user. By thinking of his definition on a broad level, the marine aquarist can easily understand the principles behind refugiums.

For all intensive purposes, our displays are "refugia" for those species of fish, coral, and inverts that we wish to display. If you had a nice display with just corals and small gobies, it is a safe haven for both. Add in the grouper, eel, or xymonocanthus longirostris (orange spot filefish) and it is no longer refugia for the corals or fish. The filefish is a consumer of corals, while the grouper and/or eel will make a quick snack of your gobies. So, in principle, your display is the refugium in which you created and controlled to support the long life and hopeful reproduction of the housed species.

Now, with that said, there are situations where the inhabitants of your display may be dependant upon a food source that is quickly depleted in your tank (i.e. pods, mysid). In this case, aquarists have created additional real estate for the production of such critters, that can be either in-line with your system or external, that is void of species that would prey upon them. This too is refugia. If you put a school of Banggai Cardinals in that space, they would quickly deplete or reduce the pod/mysid population there and therefore upset the balance and be cause for removal of the label "refugium".

Others may set up a similar system, but rather than external to the main display, it is in-line and contains just macro algae. This system is typically used for nutrient export and the increase of total water volume in the system, therefore assisting in stability of water quality. This too is a refugium. Add in that one little tang, and the macro algae is "threatened" and is no longer considered "safe".

Basically, the need for refugiums, and the type of refugium utilized is driven by the overall needs of the system as a whole, and the inhabitants of that system. If you have little or no nutrient load, you may have no NEED for a macro refugium. If you do not keep species that are dependant on ispods, copepods, or mysid shrimp, you may not NEED a crustacean producing refugium. One thing that I can attest to and would like to pass along to my peers, is whether or not you NEED such an addition, they can't really hurt.

My 75 Gallon display tank is young in the grand scheme of things. I dealt with the newbie issues of cyano, diatom blooms, etc. My tank then became stable and actually quite enjoyable to own/work with. After a year of bliss, I started to have some "issues". After implementing some corrective actions (dosing/lighting etc.) I noticed SOME improvement. However, after cutting in a new sump, with a large refugium chamber, my reef has taken off. My refugium is a mix and match of all the components I listed above. I have a deep sand base, live rock and rubble for aid in the production of pods and mysid and also keep a healthy population of macro alga for nutrient export. Finally, the increase in total water volume of my system has helped me keep my chemistry in check, without major swings.

I'm sure you've seen my other posts, but I am just amazed with my fuge. While the kids, and sometimes company stare at the pretty colored coral, fish and clams in my display, I can be found on my knees staring in to a box of muck, mire, macro and magic. The abundance and diversity of life in a proper refugium is simply amazing.

Dave

So where should a refugium be added in the scheme of plumbing?
And what should be kept in the refugium?

That is a good question, I look forward to being answered as I am building a new sump after we move.
Mine is in a skimmer/Fuge/Return setup right now, I may change it to Skimmer/Return/Fuge. What are the advantages or disadvantages of these different arrangements?

The advantages of a Skimmer/Return/Fuge is that you can control the flow going to the fuge.The disadvantage of the other is that what ever gph comes threw your display from the return are going threw the fuge.

I'd say the main difference nano, is flow. In the first setup (skimmer/fuge/return) You've presumably got all your drain water going into the skimmer compartment, then through the fuge to the return section. In the second setup you will have two drain branches (right?) so you can adjust just how much water goes through the fuge.

One other advantage of your first setup is that the fuge might help remove bubbles left in the water from the skimmer.

Another way to set things up (if geometry allows) is to build your fuge above the display tank, so a powerhead, or feed from the return pump goes up above the tank to the fuge, and then drains by gravity into the display. A purported advantage of this setup is that the delicious critters are less likely to get killed by going through a pump on their way to the display tank. A problem I encountered with this setup was trying to prevent bubbles in the display where the fuge drains back into the tank.

However you do it, I'd say put a fuge in your system whenever possible. I've seen great improvements in my tanks with fuges and I tend to give the variety of life in the fuge a good bit of credit for those improvements.

Nate

I currently have a (skimmer/fuge/return). When first setup the gph was very fast through the fuge. All I had was a 1" drain coming from my durso into the skimmer compartment. So I tried changing it. I made the 1" from the durso split into 3 seperate lines, one to the skimmer compartment, one to the fuge, and one in the return area. All adjustable with ball vavles to control the rate of flow to each. So far I think it works out nicely. Granted not all the water gets to the skimmer/fuge compartment, but it is mixed and eventually in the long run it should work out (logically speaking) :eek:

I've heard that keeping a couple of peppermint shrimp in the fuge is a good idea because they will breed [easily and frequently] and make yummy snacks for the fish in the display.

Anyone have a regium that's plumbed off the sump?
That's what I'm going to set up in my basement.
Probably a custom made acrylic box (20 or 30 gal) with the feed line just pumped out of the sump, into the refugium, then back into the sump.

Moe, that's how I'm going to have my new one set up. Powerhead feeding fuge from sump, gravity drain from fuge back to sump. I'm going to use my current 75g for the fuge. I'm going from no fuge to a huge one - I can't wait! This is a great thread - need more input from all those experts out there.

Moe_K said:
Anyone have a regium that's plumbed off the sump?
That is the way to do it Moe. You don't want your fuge to be a settling tank for solid waste (ie; using your drain to feed your fuge) It will eventually create problem's (sooner than it normally would). Algae want's nutrient's in the water column not the solid waste they come from.

A great thing about a refugium (I knew I could spell it! ;) ) is growing macro-algae in there to export nutrients from the water.
What macro-algae (plural) are you folks growing?
What type of lighting is good for growing the macro-algae?

I grow cheato it grows fast and doesn?t have the problems of going sexual like Caulerpa. As far as lighting goes make sure it?s fairly strong and 6500k. Home depot sells a 65w power compact with a 6500k bulb for 18 bucks. Great cheep fixture, thanks Gustarvo. I have run a 10,000k and the growth was 25% of what the 6500k is. I was also getting cyano growth with the 10k. Believe me it makes a big difference.

I've got chaeto in my fuge also. Its got a 75 W halogen flood light to grow under...kinda yellowy spectrum, but i dont think the chaeto cares. The amount of stuff living in the macro is utterly amazing.

Back