How does it work? Vol. 634: Ozone

RichConley

Attack of the Killer Cute
I've heard it increases skimmer performance, but I'm not really sure what the deal is here:

What sort of ozone producing units do you use (links please)

What are the benefits? Costs? Cons?

Discuss.

Here is the unit I bought out to try
http://www.pacificcoastaquarium.com...00/00/01/00000128-20050914140355-41996233.jpg

Only cost $100 plus shipping and within 2 weeks I have seen a HUGE improvment in water clairity.
Only con is there is no settings on the dial so you need to gauge the dose yourself (not hard but not exact) All the wat down would be 0, all the way up 250 and the middle is 125......you get the picture :)

I have also run the Red Sea Delux in the past and it was another great unit but the ORP probe took way to long to get a reading. That unit was like 400 beans though

Ray, how big of a tank? What do you have the thing set at? Where are you injecting?

system is around 400 gallons and it is set at just below the half way point running 24/7 and is being pumped into my ASM G-6

rich i have been using this wonder aditive for years. If used correctly it is fantastic and will give you the best clarity imaginable. You can either inject into the skimmer or a specific ozone reactor. The best read you will ever have on ozone is albert j thiels advanced book of reefkeeping.

I could say I use Ozone, but it's really a monitor now since it hasn't injected ozone in months. I use the Red Sea monitor/controller/ozonizer ~ $200.

My ORP was ~ 230 when I first installed it (inject into EuroReef) ... set the limit at 350 .... after limit was met ... ORP climbed to 400 and been there way ever since.

I 've never driven the number higher.

G.T. What ORP do you maintain?

Regards,

J.B.

G.T. What ORP do you maintain?

My orp is around 335 350. dont get up on the orp thing tho. Plus dont use the o3 to artifially raise the orp/redox just use it in short amounts to improve water quality which in turn will raise orp anyways.

G.T. ... you are using it like I do. My tank was in trouble in August and one of the changes I made was to add the ozone controller, and I'd say it helped speed the recovery . I now keep it hooked up as safety valve.

Back