How many Hydras?

gurumasta

Senior Moron
How may hydra 26 over a 48 x 24 x 21 or maybe a 48 x 18 x 21? Mixed reef but def some nice sps is planned. I'm thinking either 3 or 4. This would be my only source of light if I go this route. Thanks!

I'm thinking 3 would be plenty. You could possibly even get away with 2 with proper coral placement. I believe the Hydra 26 has a max spread of 24in, keeping in mind the loss of PAR the further away from the center of the fixture and the deeper through the water column. 4 would be overkill in my openion.

Matt

Just go with 2 for now and add more later on. The things about LED is that you can always add more if you I need it unlike T5 fixtures where you have to decide 6 bulbs vs 8 bulbs fixtures. If you want to keep SPS at most places in the tank, then realistically, you need 4 or more

If you're not going radion G4 pro with the new lens then I think 1 fixture per square foot is need for a heavily stocked sps tank. The only truly successful tanks started with led have roughly this (reefkeeper2 has like 14 hydras). Led do not have enough spread.

I speak from experience. After 4 years with led and lack luster preformance, I switched them out. I think 4 fixtures and 2 t5 over a 6x2x2 foot tank was insufficient.

If you're not going radion G4 pro with the new lens then I think 1 fixture per square foot is need for a heavily stocked sps tank. The only truly successful tanks started with led have roughly this (reefkeeper2 has like 14 hydras). Led do not have enough spread.

I speak from experience. After 4 years with led and lack luster preformance, I switched them out. I think 4 fixtures and 2 t5 over a 6x2x2 foot tank was insufficient.

Good to know. I will def consider a combo for lighting. What do you recommend? Thanks.

Well I hear of decent success with the led t5 combos. But like I mentioned were I forced to use led again, I would buy 6 radion g4 pro for my 6x2x2 tank.

Well I hear of decent success with the led t5 combos. But like I mentioned were I forced to use led again, I would buy 6 radion g4 pro for my 6x2x2 tank.

Wowza if I'm seeing this correctly that would be $4800 in lighting!?!

I think I'm just gonna kick it old skool and go halide/ t5 combo with a fan....

Or a T5 fixture with LED strips for glimmer effect.

Last edited:
well. don't let my opinion sway you. hear from others and decide

I went back to MH my self and won't switch again.

I don't know anything other than halide or T5 so I am comfortable with it. I haven't had a tank in years but I am starting back up. LED just seems cool and convenient. Its the price tag that isn't so cool once you buy 8 of them lol. I def appreciate the responses.

Back