How many of you have went back to halides or t5s

Also, for the record, i was anti LED for the longest time. Until i saw a Radion lit tank with frags from me in it. Sold.

i will get a [ic of the red shrooms after work under radions. I moved my tank around a little and the mushrroms just didnt get captured in the radion pic. I assure you, all the SPS is there. In the center of the Nikon pic is a green pavona. Its in the center of the radion pic too. IDK, you tell me. I have a Rommels rainbow frag too. Unfortunately, i dont have a T5 pic of it. But i can tell you, the rainbow shows more for me under the radion. Was a lil blah under the T5.
]

i will not dissagree there the photo of t5s def is a bit bland if thats what you call it the radions make it glow

and that radion pic is with a crappier camera (iphone vs nikon d200). even in person, the tank is alot more appealing to my eyes. I think i had around a 12-14k color with my T5s. I have the radions set at 20K.

Josh - That cap has been the same color since i have had it. Started out under 20K Coralife 400w Halides. That was for about a month. I switched the halides for 8x54w tech fixture. Had 2 Geismann actinics, 2 ATI Blue+, 3 ATI Aquablue Special, 1 ATI Purple+. The cap grew and remained that color. The Radions have been on the tank for 2 weeks only. I started at 50 percent and the following week bumped them to 60. that picture is under 60 percent lighting. I will move to 65-70 this weekend. It has yet to show any colow switch. Nothing in my tank has changed colors yet for that matter but the closest i have to anything red is that cap, a digi, and pink acans. The picture was only to show that photos can be taken under LEDs.

Dong - Thanks for the compliment. They are the second generation Radions. I have had them for about 2 weeks now. The brain in the lower right is the big guy i got from you.

That brain is looking great! The 2nd generation Radion definitely improved with the addition of color to make it a fuller spectrum.

Hopefully we will continue to see improvement for LED for reef hobby.

The Gen2 Radion actually doesnt have a different color. It does use higher binned Cree (XTEs if i recall) at 5 watts instead of 3. But still same 5 colors as gen1. I think a big improvement is the TIR lens.

Good to know that. LED is like cell phone, the technology go so fast.

Agree. And alot of the people that will complain about them were early adopters. Early adopters always get the short end because they overpay for a tech that hasnt been used yet. Lets compare to plasma TVs. How many people bought one the first chance they had only to end up with over heating issues and image burn-in? They will say plasma is bad but right now, any newer generation plasma will give you a better picture than the best LCD and isnt plagued with the early issues.

Last edited:
Early adopters always get the short end because they overpay for a tech that hasnt been used yet.

Binggo!
Now is 2013, look at these French LED, that is some real research done.
too bad now available here yet.
http://www.alpheus-aquarium.com/technologieLED.htm

Please note that these new generation LED don't offer any sort of separate channel dimming for whites or blues. Finally some company is doing the real science.

Josh - here are the red shrooms

image_zpsdf9f39fe.jpg

this is my RP and green milli one year after i had the radion.i got rid of the radion cause my chalice don't like led.
20120513_175452_zpsc1a1b118.jpg
20130128_132014_zps6decee9e.jpg

Back