How many of you have went back to halides or t5s

Seems to me that radions (atleast the 2nd gen) are quite worthy of being considered a viable LED for picky reefers. =P

My Maxspect R420R is great too, but I don't have photos of anything really as I don't have a camera capable of producing proper coloration (cellphone and cheap P&S)

my radions are gen1 :p

5$ a polyp hahahaaa

i wanna know how danny gets these monstor pics up on here :/

How DOES he get such big pics up on here?! Good question!
And I suppose my Samsung Galaxy S3 takes semi-acceptable pics of the tank.

20121217_190826_HDR.jpg

20121226_161233.jpg

20130105_213324.jpg

20130127_220710.jpg

20130203_173856.jpg

Very nice stitch. Have read good reviews on the r420r. Not a fan of acans changing though.

As for my large pics, I'm magically delicious.

My acans didn't change in the 40g with the R420R, only in the 5g pico with cheap EcoPico LEDs.

20130206_184518_HDR.jpg

And it still looks great to me. Looked like this originally though (not the actual same frag, just same exact colors):

SweetTealRingedAcan-59.jpg
I guess it's a matter of opinion which is nicer.

I've actually been wondering for awhile now if it'd change back to it's original color in the 40g with the nice LEDs.

Would be interesting to see if it does as that would prove a few theories wrong. I just don't wanna remove it from my 5g as it's one of 4 corals in there, hmm.

Personal opinion maybe. Maybe bad for the coral. Who knows. Try it in your 40 as proof of concept. Everyone in this thread would love to see.

I just sold my 13 month old Radion and got a Sunpower dimmable 6x24" for my 60 cube. I absolutely love it. I don't consider the Radion bad but in my mixed reef things looked muted, my reds looked orange. I tried every setting to get my red Acans to actually look red. I will miss the shimmer but I like the color rendition much better. $120 for bulbs yearly is worth it.

Sounds like the maxpect r420r is the latest technology for the reef hobby
I am currently using t5 and was wondering if I should switch to the maxpect r420r

Bobbofin - I can only speak for the past couple weeks, but I feel that my tank was muted under t5s. I posted pics. You can see a defined difference.

The blue leather is insane, is it blue in person?

Sure is! More like a teal/aqua I suppose.

20130105_213429.jpg

Yanni (Mike) owns it now. It's in his pizza shop tank if you ever wanna see it. Outgrew my 40g. Got it from Greg @ Underwater World for a price you'd never believe happened.

I personally do say I love my R420R but everyone has their own preference. If it weren't for electricity and heat, i'd be using a MH though just because.

Last edited:
Reefkeeper2 's tank is in a SUNROOM, his LED are just supplimental lighting for color.

And remember, T5s and MH didn't have a proven track record when they were new either...

No new technology is going to have a proven track record of long length obviously. I'm saying a year with LEDs in the pico with great success and half a year in my 40g with great success.

Many others have had great success.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I belive the future for LED? Yes I do, so don't get me wrong.
Until the day comes, I will stick to MH and t-5.
Look at the new breeds of LED from Germany and France, the time may come soon, may be this year I hope.

And remember, T5s and MH didn't have a proven track record when they were new either...

No new technology is going to have a proven track record of long length obviously.

Very soon you will see more single high power full spectrum chips available and no more disco ball on your sand bed. Now Kessile is the only one using multichip LED.

Light Emitting Plasma (LEP) will come to your reef very soon provided the price will drop dramatically in the next year. LEP is much more superior than LED.

Back