How to make water changes easier :)

Reef55

BRS Member
Just thought I'd share a tip on making water changes a bit easier.

I'll be doing the example for a 5 gallon bucket as that is the size container I make water in, but can be sized for any container. Additionally, the parameters I use for my tank, might not be the same for yours ;)

When I get a new bucket / batch of salt mix, I fill up a 5 gallon bucket with RODI water, drop in a heater, and bring it up to tank water temp. I then start adding salt, letting each amount fully dissolve, and measure how much I add, until the bucket is at 1.026 salinity.

I then measure every parameter that I add additives for (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, potassium).

Then use the online reef chemistry calculator (http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html) to figure out how much additive of each supplement is needed to be added to my 5 gallon bucket to bring all the levels where I want them to be.

At this point, you should have for this batch of salt, how much salt you need, and how much of each additive is needed to make the levels in the bucket where you want them.

Here's the tip...

Make up zip-lock baggies with the salt and all the additives in them.

Need to make up a bucket? Fill with water, empty the zip-lock baggie into the bucket, done :D

Great tip Mark!
Man, I gotta be more efficient with my water mixing method. This might be the way!

That's a big baggie....and most of my additives say "do not mix with other additives directly", sadly. But awesome tip nonetheless, think I might do that for the salt and Alk, since those seem to be my two biggest additives for WC water.

I used a sharpie an wrote the amounts to add directly on the can.

Also plumbed the return and overflow with a couple of valves and roll the 30+ gallons over to the tank, change the valves, and plug in the pump in the make-up bucket. Overflow then goes to the drain.

I loose some make up water with this method (mixing as it drains), but the tank inhabitants don't even know the water change is happening (other than the breath of fresh 'air'). Next up is a controller - the easier I make this the better off the tank will be.

That's a big baggie....and most of my additives say "do not mix with other additives directly", sadly. But awesome tip nonetheless, think I might do that for the salt and Alk, since those seem to be my two biggest additives for WC water.

Certainly true for liquid additives... all the things I add to my salt batches are salts / powders, so that isn't a concern by going that route.

good tip but i find it even easier to use a salt you don't have to mess around with in the first place;):)

I like the idea Mark. I'd be hesitant on adding an alk booster to newly mixed salt on a regular basis though. I've had a snow storm happen more than once adding alk(baking soda) to newly mixed salt. That's probably what Randy was hinting at.

Back