Water Changes, Yes or No?

Tank looks awesome! But how do you deal with detritus buildup without occasional siphoning during water changes?
I use a filter sock if I’m not changing the water but want to get some build up out then put the water back works well for me. I use a filter sock holder bracket off Amazon and it sits perfectly on the side of a 5 gallon bucket.

This seems like exactly as much work as a water change for less benefit… but I guess it’s kind of a cool challenge to avoid WC if tank looks good.

I have used a filter sock in sump for continuous siphon when I need to get rid of a bunch of algae etc

Every week or 2 I put a sock in my sump and siphon as much detritus as I can before I can’t see anything anymore in the tank then just pull the sock and repeat next time.

99CCADF7-11D7-4E24-8DA0-A476DF09C839.jpeg

This seems like exactly as much work as a water change for less benefit… but I guess it’s kind of a cool challenge to avoid WC if tank looks good.

I have used a filter sock in sump for continuous siphon when I need to get rid of a bunch of algae etc
Haha agreed except I don’t have to make water so it is slightly easier and gets a cleaning in. I don’t have an easy system yet still early days getting there I’m still using 5 gallon buckets to make rodi. It’s one hell of a workout though. I use my waste water in a rain barrel for my wife’s garden that gets carried out two 5 gallon buckets at time. One day I’ll setup a pump to pump it out there or give up and pump it to a French drain lol

I do a 35% water change once a month. The corals respond really well so we keep doing it. We dose a TON of soda ash that can build and be measured as salinity. Also we dose trace elements and I know I can't keep things going absolutely perfectly on this front, so I feel it's good to knock it back to a clean slate of fresh mixed saltwater every once in a while. Our fresh mixed salt water is tuned to perfection before doing the water change so it does feel like I'm replacing the water with exactly the same thing ...so I get that argument. But I'm sure I'm also cutting down on toxins and the yellowness of the water as well with every water change.

TCF-3622--27.jpg

I do a 35% water change once a month. The corals respond really well so we keep doing it. We dose a TON of soda ash that can build and be measured as salinity. Also we dose trace elements and I know I can't keep things going absolutely perfectly on this front, so I feel it's good to knock it back to a clean slate of fresh mixed saltwater every once in a while. Our fresh mixed salt water is tuned to perfection before doing the water change so it does feel like I'm replacing the water with exactly the same thing ...so I get that argument. But I'm sure I'm also cutting down on toxins and the yellowness of the water as well with every water change.

View attachment 197564

Wow, super amazing gorgeous

Water changes, for me, are very spotty. I haven't done one in my main display in over 2 months. In all fairness, I do both protein skim and run a fuge.

Since getting the water change station online, I do weekly 15g changes. Takes all of 20 mins to drain and replace but no lifting or lugging. The tank always looks better after the wc and a coral snow treatment. I was doing 10g WCs biweekly but it would stretch to 3 wks often and I noticed a difference of nagging algae and some trace deficiencies over time (after ICP results).

Ive never done moonshiners but Ive heard good things. I know this method and dont have to learn another method so Ill continue with my way. Corals are growing and PE is nice on SPS/LPS except for the meat coral..which I dont have any clue as to why its less meat coral and more scoly.

I do a 5 gallon water change once a week/once every other week depending on how my tank and corals are looking. I know some people find it annoying to do water changes. Personally I like it, taking some time to inspect and see how everything’s doing.

I just got back to doing them every week, I went on sabbatical from doing it for a bit and regret it. 5 gl… It’s easy enough on my 55-60 gl system. I’ve looked into dosing to avoid water changes, seems like a lot of extra equipment to get when it literally only takes me 15 min every Sunday. Take looks great now, especially after vacuuming out the sump which I hadn’t done in 7 yrs. Terrible I know, that was a 15gl water change, easy peasy. Like night and day now. Doing the 5gl weekly wc I use a 3/8 hose and siphon up any algae and detritus. Tank looks even better. Maybe look into dosing equipment when and if I ever upgrade to a bigger tank or if my corals start consuming more nutrients then the weekly change replenishes. Haven’t seen any numbers drop in the past couple months. Like chrispchef said, I actually enjoy it.

Back