I don't want to be a human air pump (again)!

dpnshnks

Non-member
Well, the power finally went out for the first time in my appartment building sometime between 6:10 and 6:19AM. I was going to get up anyways to do some work, but I wasn't planning on being hooked up to my tank via a tube and an airstone trying to keep the thing oxygenated. Fortunately, the power was back on before 8AM and I could have my life back, but I REALLY don't want to ever have to do this again or worry about what happens if I'm not home.

I've heard of some people using back-up battery devices and battery air pumps. What's the best method here (especially considering I'm probably not going to be home to catch the power outage next time)?

Eric

Wow, that blows :D I don't think you needed to do that, though, 2 hours isn't too long and the fish would have made it.

This is the pump I got, a "Penn Plax Silent Air B11 Battery Operated Air Pump": http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28865&category_id=3956&pcid1=1623

It's battery operated, but also connects to a wall outlet, and will only turn on when the power goes out. As an added bonus, it's so loud that it doubles as an alarm to let you know that the power is out :D

Nuno

Last edited:
dpnshnks said:
I wasn't planning on being hooked up to my tank via a tube and an airstone trying to keep the thing oxygenated.

Ummm, what exactly were you doing? I don't imagine exhaling through the airstone would be a very good thing to do if you were trying to oxygenate your tank. Did you have a turkey baster or some other bellows arrangement? Or Dizzy Gillespie cheeks?

--cn

You're kind of correct. There is plenty of Oxygen left in exhaled air, so the tank would stay fairly well oxygenated, however, the CO2 would have built up. It took me a minute to realize this (it was early, give me a break :p ), so, yup, I filled my cheeks and puffed room air into the tank. Coincidentally, I am a trumpet player, so my facial musculature is strong, but it still hurts like hell to do this for any length of time! :) Definitely wouldn't recommend it for children.

Eric

The air stones are there to agitate the water, get some movement and break up the surface. The oxygen enters the tank through the water surface, very little if any would enter through the bubbles due to the surface tension on the bubbles. So CO2 would not be a problem.

Cool, thanks guys, I had been wondering whether blowing through an airstone would be good or bad on balance. I knew there was O2 in exhaled air, but didn't know if the good O2 was enough to be offset by the bad CO2. It sounds like it doesn't even much matter according to Dennis though.

At any rate, if I ever find myself doing this I'd probably drive it with my bicycle pump (and hope there isn't enough oil in the air to be a problem). Though I've been meaning to get one of pumps that Nuno described.

--cn

Are you serious? lol thats pretty funny. When I didnt have my battery back-up pump all I did was circulate the water with a cup.
I think you really need to get a battery back-up pump.

Well, noone has ever confused me with normal! :p I'm glad I could amuse some and perhaps horrify others. Definitely getting a pump this week!!!

Eric

The penn plax pumps are excellent peace of mind, and well worth $10 bucks.

If you're in a pinch in the future though, without an airpump, I'd just occasionally dip a cup of water out of the tank, and pour it back in a couple times. That would circulate and oxygenate the tank enough to keep the fish alive.

If you loose power again before getting the pump. Just break up the water surface, swirl it around. You can use your hand (like when you don't have a date).

Back