Is this cyano?

Armando

v 4.0
Anyone knows what exactly is this foam algae?

Attachments

• foamalgae.jpg
    foamalgae.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 312
Yep, it's dinos. I had a major fight with it after I crashed my tank in January Armando. Raising pH helped. High Alk might have helped too. Kalk drip definitely improved things. It took a few months to clear up though.

?

iwas going to post the same thing!!!!!
ive been battling the same problem for months,
first i had cyano , i treated that with em tabs to get rid of it.
but this stuff wont go away its in patches all over the sand, i have plenty of flow pointed at sand just enough that it doesnt blow the sand away and that isnt working ,phosphates are undetectable every thing else checks ok too cant figure it out

What's your alk and ph?

Raising them both might help.

I blew off all my rocks and glass with a baster twice a day, and scooped out the resulting slime that floated to the top of the tank. Nasty nasty stuff.

just tested
ph 8.36 , dkh12, nit 0, ammo 0, phos0,
there both high i did 30g water change this morn added alk/ph super buffer

dont complain if thats all you have. my whole sand bed, a lot of my rock, and half of my glass looked like that. ive been dripping kalk more heavily overnight and lightly thru the day. i think it all started because of low flow, high nitrates, and bad bulbs. these things have been resolved. its going away pretty quickly. did a 40% water change and vacummed out all i could see. no sign of it now and hope it stays that way. i doubt it though. this stuff keeps coming back and driving me insane. i think i covered one or two more angles this attempt. im sure you'll get a grib on it a lot quicker than me. this stuff has been making me dizzy for a while.

Not sure queen conch's eat dinoflagellates. The do eat some forms of Cyano. Good skimming, nutrient control, good water motion, and high alk and possibly pH can supposedly help to battle the 'dinos'.

agree with nate. plus I dont think depending on a fish is a great idea for algae control...really you are just hiding a problem somewhat...again some algae are good, but im speaking of the PITA ones...cyano, hair, etc.. I agree with greg...skimming and nutrient control...

I haven't yet battled dinos but with the others increased flow doesnt hurt.

Now here is the question - This tank always had problems with dino and the red stringy algae.

the tank is in a system with two other tanks. the two other tanks never had any cyano or dino.

why is that? this means the dino does not propagate to other tanks in the same system? and why is it only in this tank? i'd think it's not a water quality problem otherwise the other two tanks would have dino as well, right? All 3 tanks have similar water flow.

Does that tank get any sunlight during the day? I remember that you have one tank by the window and a couple more further back so may be one is getting more light than the others? Just a wild guess, not sure if this matter at all...

Nuno

the dino-tank does not get any sunlight. there's only 1 tank that gets sunlight but indirectly and very little.

mmm interesting article but the Aquarium section is short and doesn't mention anything about prevention and treatment.

dinoflagellates

Anyone have any other pictures of dinoflagellates? I have some whitish stuff under one of my rocks and wondering if it's the same. Also do they cause Velvet Disease?

Back