K1 from saltwater to freshwater?

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
got a tank package today from a member

Fluval edge, heater and korila 1

i plan to use a MP10 for the edge so dont need the K1 i want to use it for my planted freshwater tank for some extra flow. the K! has corline alge on it tho. is there any way to easily remove it? also any prep i need to do before adding it to the freshwater tank?

thanks all
mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that the dried coralline will hurt anything, but if you want to get it off and generally clean the pump, soak the K in white vinegar overnight then scrub it with a toothbrush.

Buy the gallon jug of vinegar at the grocery store for $2. It's super useful for cleaning anything that's been in saltwater, and necessary to have on hand for cleaning whatever pumps you do run in saltwater. (nevermind if you already knew this :) )

I doubt that the dried coralline will hurt anything, but if you want to get it off and generally clean the pump, soak the K in white vinegar overnight then scrub it with a toothbrush.

Buy the gallon jug of vinegar at the grocery store for $2. It's super useful for cleaning anything that's been in saltwater, and necessary to have on hand for cleaning whatever pumps you do run in saltwater. (nevermind if you already knew this :) )

i've heard of it before, but wasnt sure what kind of vinegar.
i can put the whole powerhear in with motor side also?

-mike-

+1 on the vinegar. Works great and should be kept in stock for all SW cleanings...

just went out and got 2 gallons :)

so just put it in a bowl and then let the K1 soak in it?

ALSO the title is suposed to be K1 not Ki.........

Yup, just soak it. Better yet, take it apart and soak the parts disassembled.

Scrub with toothbrush tommorow, then rinse it in the sink. Parts will look good as new.

Title fixed

a K1 in a fluval edge? wow i thought i had a lot of flow when i had two of them in a 15 gal

i guess numbers wise its about the same but that things gotta take up like half the tank

thank you all for all the info :)

i was thinking it was a bit large also, i like the small foot print and diffrent modes of the MP10 so i decided to go with that instead.

Back