Saltwater to Freshwater

seahorse1

Non-member
If i want to convert my saltwater tank to a freshwater tank, does anyone know if just boiling the live rock is ok to put back into the FW tank? What about cleaning the glass, etc?

OK another question. I had a pink urchin that was looking good one day and the next it was lying on the bottom of my tank upside down. I have plenty of algae for it to eat. There is nothing else in the tank that could bother it, just 2 feather dusters. All water parameters are fine. Any suggestions?

IIRC urchins can be very sensitive to salinity levels and acclimation.

With the rock, if it's actual LR composed of calcerous rock, I wonder how quickly it would dissolve in freshwater. I say that because with the lower PH of FW your tank would be acting almost like a Ca reactor. Assuming the PH was low enough to dissolve the rock somewhat quickly, it would be putting a lot of Ca/alk into the water which might cause some issues in a FW tank. (I'm just guessing on all that, but it's probably worth some consideration???)

Even after boiling the liverock, there will still be a ton of die-off and it will take a long time of soaking before its completely clean and safe to be put in a freshwater tank. I really don't understand why people would ever want to do this...I think a much better option is selling your liverock and just buying baserock if you like that look (works well for african cichlid tanks).

I was thinking about just buying new baserock. I just have this one piece of LR thats about 100 pounds and an unusual shape and I dont want to get rid of it. It would look awesome in the FW tank. But I agree that it wouldnt be such a good idea. I didnt think about the rock dissolving and raising the Ca+ levels. Thats a good point.

Back