Large tanks in apartments?

Brian

Jim Nabors is WAY cool!!
I'm just curious how everyone has delt with the issue of tank weight in an apartment/condo?

2nd floor or above... I'm looking at something in the area of 200g, I believe the dememtions are 8 feet by 2 by 2

ahhh i saw that post..the weight on that tank is pretty spread out i would see if you can dig up some blue prints on the house to see if it can take the weight.how old is the house...with those dimensions i would think you'd have a better chance than a shorter tank

That was my thought too so I'd hate to pass it up. I'm not sure bout the blueprints... I'm on the verge of moving so I don't know yet what it'll be, depends on what the price of condos/houses are when I find what I want but chances are it won't be on a cement slab so that's why I'm asking. I figured an 8 foot tank will spread the weight nicely but just wanted to be sure. Thanks

Chances are you'll put it along a wall, right? If you can put it parallel to the floor joists as well, I really wouldn't be concerned about the weight too much, but hey, I don't live downstairs from you. :)

Nate

quote: "If you can put it parallel to the floor joists as well..."

I'm not sure but I think Nate may have meant perpendicular (right angles) to the joists. You would want the tank to be supported by as many different joists as possible, so you would to place it across and not along the joists. Had to put my 0.02 in :D

NOW you tell me ;) Yeah I got that much, I was just curious if people put their tanks on a sheet of plywood to spread the weight a bit more or something along those lines.

i would think if you built a stage 9'Lx4'Wx4"H cover it with tile it would look pretty cool.i think that would spread the weight to cover much more of an area.i think plywood would do the same but a tile stage would look very good...BTW i am no structural engineer,but i think that would put less stress on the floor than a water bed.

the footprint on my last water bed was about 5'x4' i dont know how many gallons they hold,but people stick them on second floors all the time...

Stage

Building a "stage" or using plywood under the tank isn't going to do you any good (IMHO) unless you make it much larger than the tank itself.

Basically, unless it is a old house/apartment their is plywood (3/4" typical) underlayment already, it is going to distribute the load over the joists, of course the more joists the better.

I'd cruise down to the basement and see what size joists they used there, more than likely they used the same size throughout, 1x6 (move out now), 1x8 (marginal at best), 1x10 (nicer), 1x12 (stick that puppy in .. two even). 16" on center is the standard. Are they using plywood underlament? (good) or lumber, e.g. 1x4 or ? (OLD building .. not so good).

Placing the tank over a load bearing beam would be the best solution. Next best would be up against a load bearing wall. And obviously, positioning the tank so that it was over as many joists as possible.

And you really can't equate waterbeds with tanks, the distribution of weight is over a much larger area than a tank.

Finally, I forget what the load factor for floors is .. but if you call the building dept they should be able to tell you what code is or was at the time the building was constructed (assuming it was after codes where created and enforced).

Just my humble take on the matter.

Regards
Noel

Last edited:
If it is 1x? stock, I would move out also. I'm assuming that Noel meant 2x? joist sizes. Avg size of joist is 2x8 or 2x10 these days unless they are using engineered prelaminated beams.

And you really can't equate waterbeds with tanks, the distribution of weight is over a much larger area than a tank.

why not water bed footprint is usually much smaller than the actual bed(on a cheaper water bed)im not trying to make an argument just asking why and if you put it on a 9x4 stage that would be a much larger footprint

brian, I think you should be fine, but you might want to have Dennis over for a beer or something. An architect could tell you for sure.

karl wagner said:
brian, I think you should be fine, but you might want to have Dennis over for a beer or something. An architect could tell you for sure.
thats the way to go...

I?ll look at it for you but not to rain on your parade buy NO house is designed to carry that kind of weight safely. You?re talking well over 2500 to 3000 lbs. That?s about 160 to 185 lbs per sq. foot.:eek: That?s what warehouses are designed for not houses. I put a 110 in my house and I added a beam and column in the basement to carry the load. PM me your tel no and I will call to discuss if you like.;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info all, as things stand now it's gonna go into my parents basement to await my move (I'm in the process of finding/buying a... well whatever I can afford and like). Dennis, I'll take you up on that offer once I find a place. Thanks again all.
Brian

xray-reefer said:
I'm not sure but I think Nate may have meant perpendicular (right angles) to the joists.

Boy. I'm really messing up everything I type today. Best just to ignore my posts for a couple days. It should wear off soon.

Duh ...

I meant 2x<whatever> ...

Thats what I get for posting before I've had my first gallon of coffee ..

Noel

Back