leveling a tank

ReeferMedic

Non-member
I have a friend that just moved into a new apartment and the floor isn't level. He has a 45 gallon or so bowfront. There is about 1/2"- 3/4" difference between the highest and the lowest point when the tank is full. What is the best way to level a tank? I've never had to do this before..... The tank is also on wall to wall carpet.

You could attach heavy duty leveling feet to the bottom of the stand. That should be plenty strong for a smallish tank like the 46g.

It wouldn't be too much stress on the stand if I only raised the two corners that need to be? I was thinking it would need to be supported all the way across the front and back of the stand, like a really thin wedge or something. Maybe I'm thinking too much into this?

ReeferMedic said:
It wouldn't be too much stress on the stand if I only raised the two corners that need to be?
Depends on the design of your stand. Most stands I've seen would be fine, IMO only being supported at the corners. My stock AGA stand for my 65g tank is supported at the corners on leveling feet. So far so good. :)

How topical

I just plunked my money down on a RR Oceanic 90g with black oak cabinet and canopy today. Arrives Thursday.

The floors in my 150 year old condo are ridiculously not level. They slapped new hardwood flooring on top of whatever ancient factory floor was already there.

I have a couple of squares of that black rubber like stuff you put around a weight bench to protect floors. Would that compress too much under 1500 lbs?

Obviously I've got to come up with a longterm solution before I fill it. Thoughts?

I definitely wouldn't rely on the rubber matting to level your tank. The stand might just distort to sit flat on the rubber matting, much as it would on the bare floor. With a tank that big and heavy you definitely need to give it a level stand. I think 6 heavy duty levelers, or shims around the stand would be good.

i found a good sledgehammer is essential for all demolition projects... a few swings from a 10 pounder would easily level a tank :)

ok, just to be stupid, when you say "shims," are you talking about the ordinary wood ones you can buy in packs at home depot? Or are there metal or hard wood versions of these?

"heavy duty levelers" do you mean like the adjustable feet that you would put under a heavy appliance?

FishyIdea said:
when you say "shims," are you talking about the ordinary wood ones you can buy in packs at home depot? Or are there metal or hard wood versions of these?
you could just use shingles or the shim packs at the depot. just make sure when you are filling the tank as you put weight on the stand it remain level,
this is important in any of the setups.

Piscevore said:
i found a good sledgehammer is essential for all demolition projects... a few swings from a 10 pounder would easily level a tank :)

I was wondering how long it would take for this reply, LOL!

used wood shingles too, was totally ideal because they have a gradual slant and support a greater area of the bottom of the tank also they can match the stand very well...

instead of buying whole packs at home depot if you find loose shingles that fell out of the packs they will give you them for free or 10cents if you ask nice :). when i went the whole floor was littered with loose shingles and they were happy to give them away-

doubtful

i got plenty of those shims, which I use to level bookcases.

that's very soft wood. if I level the stand with the tank on it and then add 900lbs of water, that's going to bite into the wood. which may make it go out of level.

what do you guys do, take a hammer and make adjustments after the tank is full? and it stays level over time?

:)

ReeferMedic said:
I have a friend that just moved into a new apartment and the floor isn't level. He has a 45 gallon or so bowfront. There is about 1/2"- 3/4" difference between the highest and the lowest point when the tank is full. What is the best way to level a tank? I've never had to do this before..... The tank is also on wall to wall carpet.

Careful with leveling a bow tank. they are prone to leaking when uneven pressure is applied to the tank over long periods of time.

a 45 may not be enough weight but the bigger you go the more likely you are to have a leak later down the road.

are you sure the tank isn't resting on the tack strip under the carpet?

By leveler feet, I mean the adjustable feet you can buy at a cabinet-making store for supporting very heavy cabinetry. Try Rockler Woodworking (online, or locally - see my sticky in the DIY forum for addresses). The kind I would use don't just tap into the bottom of the stand, they have a metal bracket that attaches inside the bottom of the frame, and the adjustable foot screws into that metal frame.

Back