May BRS Meeting/Sutton Ma/Charles Mazel : The Function of Flourescence on the Reef

jason401

Non-member
Saturday, May 16th Sutton, Charles Mazel discussing: The Function of Flourescence on the Reef

Boston Reefers Meetings are open to all Paid, non-paid and prospective members(family friendly environment)

Time is Noon-4pm

The location is:

American Legion Post 414
158 Boston Rd.
Sutton, Ma 01590

Meeting schedule:

**All topics and times subject to change at any time**

12:00-Socializing/Membership Registration/Greeting
1:00-Break for lunch
1:30 Charles Mazel
3:30-Raffle
3:45-Frag Trading/Socializing

Water testing link

Fish Goo Link

Meeting Sponsor -

There will be many great raffle prizes offered up to support the club by our sponsors and members. Items will be posted as we get closer to the meeting date.

**THERE WILL BE A KIDS ACTIVITY TABLE**

Charles Mazel Bio, and a brief description on his topic of discussion.

Charles Mazel is the founder of NIGHTSEA, and a Principal Research Scientist at Physical Sciences Inc. He became intrigued by the idea of fluorescence night diving in the early 1970s and developed his own equipment for searching for and photographing fluorescence underwater. Only after acquiring his first photographs of fluorescing corals and anemones did he learn that scientists knew virtually nothing about the phenomenon.

This led him to pursue research on the biology of fluorescence and to develop new tools for fluorescence viewing and photography. He has made fluorescence dives in numerous locations around the globe, measured fluorescence properties underwater, and made the first deep-sea dives to explore for fluorescence from a manned submersible. Through the years he has also provided equipment and imaging advice to numerous marine aquarists and shared his research at aquarium conferences.

Title and Abstract

The function of fluorescence on the reef

Lighting that enhances the fluorescence of reef organisms brings out fabulous colors and enriches the experience of your aquarium. Fluorescence is a beautiful way of viewing the underwater world, but is there any significance to it? In this presentation I will briefly review the phenomenon of fluorescence and its effect on the color of corals, and update on the state of scientific knowledge.

mazel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats needed for the fish goo????
I can make this meeting as its my weekend off....wooohooooo!!!!!!!!

Oh man, I would love to attend this meeting but I'll be out of town :( I am already having withdrawals!

Higor

Great meeting. Thought the speaker gave a great presentation., highly interesting.
Well worth the trip. Thanks.

Back