Most important factors in coral growth.

mason90

Non-member
Wanted to start a thread on the most important factors in effective coral growth. Big factor because I would like to know and also i think it would help a lot of people, both newbies and just help inform all hobbyist. Everyone with there opinions? Thanks!

good thread, in my experience being consistant and taking everything extremely slow is the best way to keep everything going smoothly

+1 being constant, waiting until the tank is mature, making sure the parameters are stable at all times ( calc, alk, mag, phos, nitrate ), also readying up and the knowledge of the corals which u are trying to grow ( researching lighting requirements, flow , ect. )

Keeping it simple and maintaining the basics of a reef system. It is a simple process but not easy to accomplish.

We often over complicate things and treat each individual issues separately, instead of maintaining the system as a whole.

Keeping it simple and maintaining the basics of a reef system. It is a simple process but not easy to accomplish.

We often over complicate things and treat each individual issues separately, instead of maintaining the system as a whole.

very well said!
Keep plumbing simple and make sure you clean the pipes.

"Keeping it simple and maintaining the basics of a reef system."
Light, water quality and water movement.
Also be careful how and where you put a coral in the tank.
You would be surprised how many corals are lost because they fall, a snail/urchin knocks them over,
they touch another coral, you break them when clean a tank, a piece of live rock falls on them,
sweeper tentacles from another coral ...

alkalinity, calcium, mag and the correct flow and water quality for the specific coral type...............

To keep coral, lighting and water quality. For growth, you must have stable chemistry. Alk, mg, Ca stabilization at a desired level is pretty important. A doser would help a lot. If not a doser, you can do manual two part dosing.

"Keeping it simple and maintaining the basics of a reef system."
Light, water quality and water movement.
Also be careful how and where you put a coral in the tank.
You would be surprised how many corals are lost because they fall, a snail/urchin knocks them over,
they touch another coral, you break them when clean a tank, a piece of live rock falls on them,
sweeper tentacles from another coral ...

Well that does bring up a point that I have discussed with quite a few reefers that a coral doesn't seem to take of if it has movement. Then it seems to be 3-4 months once it is attached securely for it to really take off.

To be honest all that other stuff, as long it is balanced, as a system doesn't really matter to a great degree. Maintaining said system is more important.

I know there is a lot of info to jettison people way past the beginning stages of reefkeeping and it shows. Once the buffer zones go away you can see most are not up to par on their basic maintenance skills. Husbandry is almost lost is most reef discussions

Last edited:
+1 on movement/placement. The frags we've lost were due to the coral not being frimly anchored in place. A rockin' frag never becomes a rockin' colony.

I found water changes instead of constant dosing helps

sure , it can. But for heavy or moderately stocked tanks you really want to dose daily to match the daily consumption................I suppose u could do this with water changes, depending on the type of salt that is used

sure , it can. But for heavy or moderately stocked tanks you really want to dose daily to match the daily consumption................I suppose u could do this with water changes, depending on the type of salt that is used

I agree as that daily consumption can be huge once the corals are full colonies, To the point water changes and topping off Kalk water will not be enough.

Dave MCReeferson used to top off with 2 part dosed water. He had the system down so it was all automatic just on his water top off.

A lot of good points, I'll just add that it depends on the coral. Some corals do best in clean, environments, with very low nutrient levels. Others will do better with slightly elevated nutrients. It's sort of a generalization, but I think corals with a higher tissue to skeleton ratio (LPS and soft corals, which don't have a skeleton at all) do better with slightly higher nutrients. Corals, such as SPS often will do better with very low nutrients. Also, another generalization, but many SPS can change their pigmentation to adapt to lighting and may require more light to begin with. Some LPS, for example, may not be able to adapt their pigmentation to different lighting and may not require as much to begin with depending on the clade of zooxanthellae hosted for example, and other factors. So, matching lighting to the particular coral is important. Same for flow, some corals, such as LPS can expand their shape, to allow more surface area for gas exchange, but may be damaged by too much flow. Others, can't regulate their shape and require lots of flow, for access to minerals and nutrients and for gas exchange.

So, in short, the most important factor for growth is to provide an environment that is well suited to the corals being grown.

One thing to consider is placement. Even though we may know that a particular coral likes "moderate light and flow" for instance, finding it's "happy spot" will contribute to it's well-being. Once we decide the spot it's in is "permanent", it's best to glue / epoxy, or attach is solidly to keep it from getting knocked over.
If you have a coral that just isn't doing well. I would advise to try another spot.

There is of course the obvious which is to maintain STABLE Sg, Alk, Calc, Mag; keep low nutrient levels; have proper filtration (mechanical/biological) inorder to maintain low nutrients. From here the requirements for good coral growth diverge depending upon each different coral. It is important to identify each corals unique requirements and its optimum light/flow requirements. Each species will need different flow/lighting and finding that balance in a reef tank can be tiresome and difficult. In addition some species respond well to feedings. LPS, polyps, along with others tend to grow quicker with regular feedings. Much of what Ive said is general with no specifics to how to go about achieving the desired results however I think each of the obvious topics above require their own thread with proper discussion.

I have not started keeping corals yet, so I am wondering what books can I get to help me learn what each coral requires?

Back