MrX Redux

MrX

Non-member
Since selling my system back in January, due to work issues (company sold, everyone fired, etc. etc.), I've been contemplating getting back into the hobby. I couldn't resist responding when a BRS member, Kristen a.k.a. Greenie, posted up her 50G reef setup for free.

She was kind enough to pass on the following:
  • 50Gal tank and stand, with sump
  • Skimmer and return pump
  • Light fixture(s)
  • Fish: Pair of clowns, black sabie clown, mimic tang and pseudochromis
  • Corals: 3 btas, flower anemone, purple tube anemone, large purple/silver hammer coral, green tip frogspawn, large purple duncan and a few more
  • Tons of gorgeous live rock

With the help of a buddy I went over today and picked everything up. After getting it home I transferred everything to a 40B I bought last week at the Petco sale 'just in case' I got back into the hobby. As of now all the livestock and most of the rock is happily at home in the 40B in the basement.

Once everyone was settled I began the task of cleaning up the tank, stand, and sump. This included removing the old bulkheads, old plumbing, and accidentally removing the overflow box (looked sort of like a glass holes box). Tomorrow I'll finish cleaning the tanks and painting the stand black. I'll also try and get the parts to redo the plumbing.

Here's some pics of the system before moving it to my house:

OriginalFTS1-2.jpg

OriginalFTS2.jpg

ClownsAndNem-2.jpg

Here's a couple pics of the 40B temporary setup in the basement:

40BTempHome1.jpg

40BTempHome2.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see you getting your feet wet again X. Nice score on the system, and how generous of Kristen to pass along for the benefit of the livestock! Best wishes and good luck with the new system. Ill be following along with this one!

In other news, the Black Sabie Clown decided it didn't like it's new home and committed fishicide sometime between midnight and this morning. Went down to turn on the light and feed and DaughterX found it on the basement floor. :(

Everything else appears to be doing fine. Water is cleared up, skimmer is running, and 5g of new water is mixing.

Thanks for the welcome back peeps. I'm still trying to figure out what to do... lol.

I ordered a Glass Holes 700GPH overflow kit and got that in yesterday. Today I picked up another 40B from Petco so I could drill that one without disturbing everything in the other 40B temp-home. I also put in an order for a Reef Breeders Photon24 LED fixture. Still need to get some other basics: refractometer, spare heater(s), test kits, etc. Just taking things slow.

In regards to the equipment and stuff I got from Greenie:
- Stand: cleaned it up and am repainting the it black. Bought new hinges for the doors. Have to sand it one more time and do the final coat. Hope to have it done this weekend.
- 50G tank: the hole sizes/placement drilled in the tank were a little odd, so as of now I don't plan on using it. May use it for a sump or something else. If not I'll just post it for free for another BRS member
- 20-ish gallon sump: as this fits in the stand I'll probably try and use it. Haven't decided if I will take out the baffles and redo the layout
- Skimmer: the skimmer is a Coralife 65G skimmer (saw it at Petco last weekend); it's missing a few pieces. It is working pretty well regardless, but has a small leak because it's missing the o-ring. Need to see if I can order the missing parts for it.
- Light fixture: MH center buld is working. Actinics on either side don't power on, I think the ballast is toasted. Two moonlights work but are very dim.

The 2 clowns, mimic tang, and psuedochromis are all doing well still. All but 1 of the 4 nems is opened up (tube nem picture below), other corals are doing ok. Once I get the new LED I think things will be much happier as the Actinics aren't working on the fixture.

04172013TubeNemSmaller.jpg

Can't wait to see how this pops under the new LEDs.

those tube anemones are very hardy. With a little TLC, it will bounce right back. I have one that i got in worse shape than that and it is looking great now. They are not photosynthetic, so you need to feed it.

those tube anemones are very hardy. With a little TLC, it will bounce right back. I have one that i got in worse shape than that and it is looking great now. They are not photosynthetic, so you need to feed it.

Did not know that... thanks. I'll have to research what to feed and get on the ball.

Sounds like things are moving along.

Let me know how the photon24 works for you. Debating picking up a second D120 or a photon32 for my 75gal when I get my tax refund.

well can we get a recent photo..

never mind ill wait till we get the light and all set up srry

No worries... I don't really have anything else to show at this point. The pictures in post #1 of this thread are from the other day and exactly what it looks like right now; only difference is the water is clearer.

I have to order a Return Kit from Glass-Holes; wasn't even thinking about that and didn't dawn on me that they'd carry them. Once I get that in I'll drill the 40B I bought yesterday and get the overflow and returns in place. My plan is to put the overflow on the left, with enough room to the left of it to potentially add a second return. Then I'll drill the single return on the right. The idea being that if I need to later I can add a second overflow box and return.

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to finish repainting the stand, drill the overflow, and maybe start to get the plumbing together (including the sump).

Did not know that... thanks. I'll have to research what to feed and get on the ball.

You can feed it meaty foods. I feed mine shrimp from the supermarket. Well, a piece of a shrimp. When i feed the carpet, i take a small piece of meat from the shrimp and give it to the tube. the rest goes to the carpet.

Back