MrX Redux

Spot fed all the nems today with some soft krill pellets, also defrosted a cube of brine and squirted that into the tank. Can't wait to get the new Photo24 and get that over the tank... I'm sure the nems and corals will do much better once I get that installed.

Finished repainting the stand today and put on the new hinges for the doors. Not sure if the basement floor is a little off or if the stand is a bit off kilter. Need to figure that out.

Stopped at Home Depot and bought some .125" screen insert stuff to use on the skimmer and try and stop the leak; guess I should check out the manufacturer website and see if I can get the parts that are missing.

Any suggestions for a different skimmer for a 40B?

Waiting on the Glass Holes return kit to come in and then I'll drill the 40B and get that going.

Things on the list to figure out:
- plumbing
- where to put the tank
- whether or not I want to go bigger!?!

I really should have kept all my equipment and just sold the livestock... *sigh*

i was thinking the same thing about the equipment when you sold it. I would have kept some of the big ticket items like the lights, controller and skimmer.

And of course you want to go bigger. Its the nature of the reef keeper. If we all had the option, our house would be built around our slice of ocean.

Got my GH return kit today so with the help of KidsX I drilled the 40B and got the overflow box and return on the tank.

40BDrilling1.jpg

40BDrilling2.jpg

40BDrilling3.jpg

40BDrilling4.jpg

I spaced out the overflow box and return so if for whatever reason I decide I need to add a second of either I can do so.

I should have painted the back glass before installing the bulkheads. Guess I can paint it as it is now.

Next up is to sort out the sump:

- decide if I want to redo the one that came with the system, or if it's good enough
- figure out the plumbing based on the sump decision
- figure out what skimmer I want to use and buy it (open to suggestions)
- determine if the return pump is good enough

Last edited:
looken good cant wit to see it filled up im in the same boat as u i dont know if u should redo the sump i bought wit plumbing it came with drove me crazy for half a day try to figure it out

Quick update... after buying the GH stuff and installing it I'm not sure I want to run the 40B setup. Been debating on a 125G or 180G for weeks now. Prices for new are expensive and haven't had any luck finding a used system for a decent price. The couple tanks I've found on Craigslist turn out to be way overpriced and in crappy condition.

Today FamilyX did the Salem, NH run to check out the LFSs there. AquaAddicts had told me about this DSA 175G tank they had, so I had to go check it out.

DSA175G.jpg

The thing is awesome. 72" x 27" x 21". Talk about depth to aquascape... and the 6ft length!

Sadly, I didn't come home with it... pricey.

Anyone know of any good deals on a 125G or greater, 6ft tank?

Ask the LFS when Aqueon will be putting their 6' tanks on sale.
When I bought my 150g Roger (KCA) mentioned that 125g where on sale "x" month and the 150g would be in sale the following.
There's also a LFS up in Northern Maine that does a lot of online marketing, I'll see if I can find it again and let you know. Always had amazing tank prices (how I found out about the sale) and unique live stock. But again, above Portland.........
Glad to see your diving in and staying big.

Back