My last fish for the nano...which sould I get?

which one?

• Six Line Wrasse

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Lawnmower Blenny

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Hi-fin Red Banded Goby

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • other

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Is a "High Fin Red Banded Goby" a YasheHaze Goby?

Something like that might be good as they are very small fish.

I'd choose carefully and conservatively, because 3 small fish is probably the upper limit of what you'd be wise to keep in a 12g reef.

Is a "High Fin Red Banded Goby" a YasheHaze Goby?

Not sure, but I have heard a few different names for them.

p_70938.jpg

Something like that might be good as they are very small fish.

I'd choose carefully and conservatively, because 3 small fish is probably the upper limit of what you'd be wise to keep in a 12g reef.

If we're looking at 1 cubic inch of fish per 5g....a full grown false perc and firefish should have me at about 2/3 capacity. I'm trying to be very careful, that's why I'm asking. :D

Six line will be too big, lawnmower blenny also gets pretty big and may not have anything to eat after all the algea is gone. High fin goby is your best bet.

Go with the goby. I've seen lawnmower blennies get to over 6 inches and be fat, and I've seen 6lines to be over 3" and be agressive.

The 6line I had even in a 75g tank got fairly territorial as it got older (fin picking, chasing, etc), and devoured my shrimp. Stick with a goby or a *small* blenny. I personally like the 2 Spotted blennies that pop up from time to time on Liveaquaria (1.5 - 2" max.)

-Mike

Six line will be too big, lawnmower blenny also gets pretty big and may not have anything to eat after all the algea is gone. High fin goby is your best bet.

I don't know if the day would ever come that I would run out of algae. :D

Go with the goby. I've seen lawnmower blennies get to over 6 inches and be fat, and I've seen 6lines to be over 3" and be agressive.

Sounds like it's hit or miss with aggression.

The 6line I had even in a 75g tank got fairly territorial as it got older (fin picking, chasing, etc), and devoured my shrimp. Stick with a goby or a *small* blenny. I personally like the 2 Spotted blennies that pop up from time to time on Liveaquaria (1.5 - 2" max.)

-Mike

Sounds like it would keep my clown in line and off the firefish's butt....but I would like a happy tank. :D

I agree to stay away from the six line. They get mixed reviews I guess on behavior but I had one in my 40 with just the clown and after a week or two he started chasing him all around and nipping at his fins.

I gues they will pair with a Randalli Pistol Shrimp but are they reef safe?

The Randals pistol shrimps (aka candy cane - depending which store you're visiting) are totally reef safe. They're tiny - about 1" max from tail to claw - so they aren't a threat to anything in the tank, and they can't even really do any damage with their digging. As a precaution, make sure your rockwork is fairly stable, and nestled into the sand a bit, but I never had trouble with the digging these tiny guys did.

Nate

The Randals pistol shrimps (aka candy cane - depending which store you're visiting) are totally reef safe. They're tiny - about 1" max from tail to claw - so they aren't a threat to anything in the tank, and they can't even really do any damage with their digging. As a precaution, make sure your rockwork is fairly stable, and nestled into the sand a bit, but I never had trouble with the digging these tiny guys did.

Nate

So, would you quarantine the goby with the shrimp or introduce the shrimp later? Do gobies have a high risk of carrying ich?

That Gobie is so cool! Have you found a supplier? I'd also look at a little Green Clown Gobie...

Back