my New Red Sea Max 250 (RSM250) adventure.........

nemodan

Non-member
Hi All

Many will remember my thread of my 12 G book shelf rimless tank when you see the below picture. After 6 months the SPS corals started to have issues due to lack of space. So I decided to upgrade to a RSM 250.

Here goes pictures.

12 G Mr Aqua Rimless tank around 6 month old

5/10/2014 THE START OF THE RSM 250

5/26/2014 FIRST CORAL TRANSFER

6/17/2014 FINISH RELOCATING ALL THE CORALS FROM THE 12G

Last edited:
TODAY OCTOBER 11, 2014 .......ALMOST 6 MONTHS AFTER THE FIRST CORAL TRANSFER

Tank: RSM 250
Set-up: All standard. Refugium on Media Basket and chiller JBJ.
Lights: RSM T5 (the new T5 for the RSM C 250) + 1 36" Ecoxotic Purple and Blue LED + 1 TrueLumen Pro 36" Actinic LED + 1 24" TrueLumen Pro Actinic LED
Water: 100 % Petco Natural Sea Water
Water changes: Tank had a final water volume of 50G. I change ~7-8 G each weekend

Dosing: Ca and Alk (Kent Marine) and AcroPower (aminoacids)

Ca: 410
Alk: 9 dkh
Salinity: 1025

pH: 8.0- 8.2 (night - day).

Last edited:
That is awesome man! You need to swing by and help me get my RSM C-250 looking like that. :)

Mine has been up since about 05/01 but looks nothing like yours. I've got to read through your other thread and get some advice from you.

That is awesome man! You need to swing by and help me get my RSM C-250 looking like that. :)

Mine has been up since about 05/01 but looks nothing like yours. I've got to read through your other thread and get some advice from you.

Hi MrX..... I will be more than happy to share with you what I have done. We can meet if you want and spent a nice reef chat. or just exchange TxT mesages and pictures. I will PM you.

The tank is all standard. I am using the Media Basket area with the "In Tank" media basket they sell as a refugium.

For details of the refugium you can read the first pages of my posted thread and the below thread:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...3-successful-rsm-250-refugium-media-rack.html

For lights I have the T5 that came in your RSM C-250 (different from the ones in the older tank model I have- RSM 250- ), plus some LEDs to give color, shimmering and also help more in coral growing.

Dosing: I am using Kent Marine (2 parts) Tech A and B (Before I was using A and B for nano tanks). Dosing pumps are BRS 1,1 ml/ minute controlled by a Reef Keeper.

Water: 100 % PETCO Natural Sea Water

Pumps: Standard RSM 250 pumps

Skimmer: Standard RSM 250 Skimmer

Wavemaker: Jebao RW 8 ( http://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/01/hands-jebaos-rw-series-propellor-pump-dosing-system/ )

The ATO is a JBJ. You can see a 1G bottle of distilled water on the left side of the below picture. The tank use 1G per week. I took out the surface fans because I have the chiller.

The air income of the skimmer takes air from the outside. See air tubing hanging from the window and going to the tank at the left of the below picture. That helps to keep the Ph between 8-8,2 (Night/day).

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Forgot to add that I do not use any chemical filtration. I have left the RSM 250 sponges to protect the pumps and I have the refugium. That is all.

Daniel

Amazing! I also have a RSM 250, but it looks nothing like yours. I can't believe you only lose 1 gallon per week. I think I lose 1 gallon every two days. Looks like I have to study your build thread as well, but I doubt my tank will ever look like yours. LOL

Very nice Daniel. Does the chiller kick on much?

Thank you all about the nice comments.

Concerning the chiller, in the peak of the summer I will risk to say every 2 hours, more or less. What I really timed was how much time was taking the chiller to get the tank from 80 to 79. This is a JBJ 1/10 rated for 120 G, if I remember correctly. It was taking 20-30 minutes to reduce the temperature from 80 to 79. The tank empty is 65G with sand/rocks I added 50G to fill it.

I am not using surface fans and the T5s in an RSM250 are enclosed in the hood and very near the water surface.

The chiller is excelent. You can not hear it when is working. The time for the tank to go from 79 to 80 was the one regulating the frecuency of kick on. That is dependent on many factor (room temperature, type of lights, etc). I was more worried about how long it will take the chiller to reduce that temperature.

I am planning to upgrade it to a JBJ 1/4 next summer, and save this chiller as backup.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Looks nice. I recently got my dad the same tank in black and we just put water in it Monday after he cleaned it up . Hes running everything stock thus far with the addition of a pair of MP10s and tunze 3155 ato. He has a bubblemagnus from his other tank hes going to use once he transfers everything from 90g. The tank its self is sharp looking and will be nice filled with corals. Good luck with yours and Ill be sure to post a pic once he gets it looks as nice as yours.

Back