my re-build thread

less fish though =/.
If you want the fish go for 6 foot tank. It would suck to setup a 4 foot tank to later wish you have the extra two feet.

You could get one of the those monster 3'x4' or 3'x5' or 3x'6':eek: I like the 3'x4' best because it doesn't have any center braces.

so i got quoted today on the glass- 475 bucks for all of the glass.. front end and right side starfire, all of the glass will be 1/2" thickness. Seems like a pretty reasonable price?

so total i'll be getting
1x 48x24 regular float glass
1x 24x20 regular float glass
1x 48x20 regular float glass
1x 48x20 starfire glass
1x 24x20 starfire glass
all 1/2" think, with the top rim of the rimless tank polished, and the vertical sides "ground".

Seem like a good price?

Just quick look, but have you taken into consideration the glass thickness in arriving at those dimensions, I'm not sure how you plan to piece it to together but a double check may be in order prior to ordering the glass.

Jim

Just quick look, but have you taken into consideration the glass thickness in arriving at those dimensions, I'm not sure how you plan to piece it to together but a double check may be in order prior to ordering the glass.

Jim

+1 a tank only has 4 sides... :p wait they do have 5... i forgot about the bottom.... i wouldnt have ordered enough glass

and i think its your first piece of glass... its 4" to long

Last edited:
yeah, it's five pieces total.. .I know what you're getting at Jim, technically the end panels are 23" wide, not 24, that's to account for a 1/2" glass thickness on the front and pack panels.. sorry for not specifying that i was just being lazy and writing the overall dimensions of the outside of the tank.

but the first piece of glass is 4" taller than the other ones??? oh wait thats the bottom piece. ok i get it now

It's that new math :p .

So let's rephrase here since i caused so much confusion

Bottom panel 48x24
Front panel- 48x20
Back panel 48x20 (starfire)
Left End- 23x20
Right End 23x20 (starfire)

It's that new math :p .

So let's rephrase here since i caused so much confusion

Bottom panel 48x24
Front panel- 48x20
Back panel 48x20 (starfire)
Left End- 23x20
Right End 23x20 (starfire)

must be the class i skipped today lol

and now the back panel is starfire :p just messin with you. i know what you mean

erhh PPG? Haven't done much comparison shopping.. no

This is a quote from "Brad's Glass" on 138 in Canton. My fathers buddy is a Carpenter/Plumber/Electrician you name it basically and he works with a guy from Brad's Glass, so he got me the quote. He said if i was an everyday customer it would run me about 800, but he got me a discount because he knows the guys well.

Seems about right.. especially when you take polishing the edges and whatnot into account... quoted from several tank manufacturers.. to have this tank made for me runs $1000 +, so you've gotta figure the glass is at the very least half of that price, right?

Hey Joel,

That's a great price on glass.

If you like the fish and might want more room I would go for the 6'. If your definitely going to build it you could do a 5' or a 52"/54" tank since you get a good price on glass.

Do you have any tank building experience? Do you have at lease (2) 5' and (2) 3' pipe clamps and a level table to build it on? I can give you some tips if your interested. If you want to come see my set up and talk building just let me know.

Hey Joel,

That's a great price on glass.

If you like the fish and might want more room I would go for the 6'. If your definitely going to build it you could do a 5' or a 52"/54" tank since you get a good price on glass.

Do you have any tank building experience? Do you have at lease (2) 5' and (2) 3' pipe clamps and a level table to build it on? I can give you some tips if your interested. If you want to come see my set up and talk building just let me know.

might be a good idea... i'm working on building the tank with this great DIY guy.. and he's already said he's got some great 6' long clamps.. but they're the twist to tighten down type clamps.. is that bad? I thought i read somewhere that you should use spring clamps, but maybe i didn't?

Any updates?

Curse you! I thought people forgot about my black hole of a project that hasn't gone anywhere in months! lol..

I feel like PaulThomas. :rolleyes: . It'll get there someday.. unfortunately funds are a bit dry ATM... I'm considering just buying a new RR 75 gallon and expanding upon what i have a bit..

I figure a nice new 75 gallon, with clean glass, a real reef ready set-up, a new sump (already have it) new return pump, and skimmer would be a good upgrade. Only issue is it's not much of an increase in water volume.

Back