my re-build thread

i wouldn't think it would have any problems... but then again im not sure.... i mean if its installed right you should be able to put a lot of weight on it and the floor below it should take all the weight and distribute it along the joists... right?

i dont think it will be a problem maybe if you ever want to replace the flooring but it should be fine on top

so i've been trying to research it up a bit.. i'm hoping i can still do it..

I've read that it can usually take the weight without any real issues, it's just that it scratches easy, and is very easy to damage with water spillage. So i'm thinking that i'm going to buy some of that mesh stuff that fits together like puzzle pieces to evenly distribute the weight, as well as make sure i don't scratch it up.. then i'm also going to seal the cracks between the flooring with caulk to make sure water doesn't seep down into them.. and i should probably think of numerous other ways to make sure that the floor doesn't get damaged by water spilling.

Here's my thinking as far as it supporting the weight though. I had a 46 gallon bowfront tank in the same spot on the same floor. So roughly 1/3 or 1/4 the weight of the system i'll be setting up. But here's the thing... that 46 gallon bowfront was on a table, not an aquairum stand. The table had 4 legs.. meaning 4 small points that all of the pressure was applied... it wasn't evenly distributed over a 48"x24" area like the new tank will be, all of that weight was distributed over four small 1"x1" legs of this table. The floor showed no sings of indenting, cracking, squishing or anything like that would make you worry with laminate flooring... so i'm thinking theoretically i'm going to quadrupole the weight of the system, but i'm going to wayyy more than quadruple the surface area that the weight is distributed upon, so lbs per square inch should be even less that on the previous tank.. does that make sense? Please tell me i'm not crazy and that makes sense...

i think your stressing yourself over nothing

is the underlying floor strong enough? it is against an outside wall right?

should b fine

underlying floor should be strong enough, even with that said though we were going to add a bit of bracing below it. Yup, and outside weight or load bearing wall...

at lowes they sell a rubber plastic sheet sold by the foot its made for showers under tile its in the plumbing isle get a peice of that to put under the stand to protect from spills and call it a day

Order the tank.....your going to be named Paul Jr pretty soon:p, at least he finally ordered a tank and has it sitting dry on the floor:p.

It only going to scratch the floor if your moving it around.Imo don't put anything under it other than tiles or such for shim/s to level it.Any "pad" is going to act like a trap to hold water under it(you know a spill is going to happen at some point in time) and ruin the floor because it won't be able to evaporate quickly,nice to have that air gap.A pan of sort would be better but not to easy to blend in with stand appeal,generally the edge of the stand is taking the load anyhow.You could make a plywood base say an 1.5" bigger than the outer dimension of your stand add an edge(molding) stain/seal it and you have a matched pan....could even put a 3/8 fitting so you can drain it if needed.
That tank is awesome!Money for that will be well spent.

good thinking on the pad trapping water, i hadn't though of that. I am however going to silicone seal the bottom of the stand like you did on yours.. that's a great idea.

you can also get one of those water alarms if it does do a little spill.

water only damages pergo if it is allowed to sit and seep in.....

you can also get one of those water alarms if it does do a little spill.

water only damages pergo if it is allowed to sit and seep in.....

Do any, or all controllers have a feature to call/email you when alarm goes off? I didnt mean to hijack, but Joel was curious;).

since the alarm closes a contact to make the buzzer go off, it wouldn't be hard to connect it to a controller, and create a page/email event.

i've got two of those "watchdog" alarms that go off when water touches the contact. Naturally since getting them they haven't been used... but i'm ok with that.

i've got two of those "watchdog" alarms that go off when water touches the contact. Naturally since getting them they haven't been used... but i'm ok with that.

I have three of them. One next to my sump, and next to a pump. One under my RODI in a closet, and the last is between my 55gal barrels of water. It figures my return gets clogged, and leaks behind the tank where I dont have one. My wife didnt seem impressed when about 5-6gals dumped on the floor(HW). To add make matters worse since it was Kalk when it dried up it was all white everywhere. It was like in CSI, when they check for blood with luminol. Needless to say, I am getting a 4th.

Order the tank.....your going to be named Paul Jr pretty soon:p, at least he finally ordered a tank and has it sitting dry on the floor:p.

Son numbah two? Welcome to the fam Paulie Jr.!

FYI Barney, the tank is sit-ting on a stand. Ah hem. :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, that tank looks like a quality one. Just get it!

ARGG another brain buster here...

Think this tank is worth about twice as much as an oceanic 120 tech? I don't know all that much about the tech's, i was researching them a little and thought i was going to get one, but for about 1000 dollars new this tank seemed like a smart choice.. Well now i've come to find out that I can get a 120 tech for a good deal cheaper than that, and have it be about half the price of this custom tank.. what do you guys all think, is it worth it?

I've kinda thought about pros/cons on both and for me it kinda goes like this

Custom Tank Pros:
1. 20" tall, for an SPS tank i don't need the extra 4" of a 120.
2. Corner overflow, I like it in the left corner more than in the middle, tank will be viewing from front and right panel, so back left corner overflow makes the most sense
3. Glass Eurobracing- Hard to say for sure, but i believe that the glass eurobracing may be a bit stronger than the plastic eurobracing of the tech tank, and On first glance i'm thinking it looks a little better too.
4. Machine Beveled and polished edges.. simply wont have the same quality on a tech tank, not sure if this might be a deal breaker.
5. Starfire front and side panels, i believe the tech is only a starfire front, although someone correct me if that's wrong?
6. Lighter weight when filled, 20 less gallons, although the custom tank itself might be heavier at around 300 pounds.

Cons:
1. Double the price of the 120 tech tank.
2. Resale value of the two tanks would be similar, tech tank might even have higher resale value.
3. Must pick-up in New Jersey, about a 5 hour drive one way.
4. Not as well known of a company as oceanic, hasn't been around as long, not as many customers.

Less money spent on the display would also mean more money i could spend on equipment... but the tank will be in our living space, so i don't want a hack-job. I know that the 120 tech is a nice tank, I just don't know if it makes more sense at this point to spend the extra money for a bit of extra quality. How much extra quality? Well i'm not sure exactly.. that's the problem =/.

Thanks for any input guys =).

If it were me I would make the decision between the two tanks based off of $$$ available.

The custom tank will be much NICER looking IMO then a off the shelf tank.

It fits what you want more. 4" short, corner overflow, starfire three sides....

If you have the $$$ go with the custom. If you don't have the $$$ go with the Oceanic. The 120 Tech is a nice looking tank, I just saw one last week.

That is just how I would decide. I went with the non custom cube because I could get a 30"x30"x24" for the same money as a custom 24"x24"x24".

Whatever you do Paul Jr PLEASE PLEASE order a tank. One Paul is enough for this club:p:p:p.

Back