Need help plumbing/designing 29Gal Sump

maurod

Non-member
I am trying to setup a Sump/Fuge and configure it to have the least possible risk to my flooring :) and maximum benefit to my little reef tank.

Does anyone know of some good designs for turning a 29gal tank into the most effective fuge while still handling a skimmer and return flow?

The equipment I currently have to play with:
1 CPR in sump skimmer (I dont know what model)
(Thanks Chuck!)
1 Mag7 to power the skimmer.
1 Quietone pump of some large capacity (from Living Seas)
2 Drilled 29 gal tanks (living seas closeout)
1 29 gal tank baffled for use as a sump already. (I'd like to reconfigure this)
1 HOB overflow (Thank you Dawn)

I also have a Prizm Skimmer and Millenium 2000 filter that I am currently using on the tank. (should I keep using them with the sump?)

Thanks for any help or wisdom you can offer!

M.

You can make a small compartment for the skimmer and have the overflow water go directly into that. This is supposed to yield the best results production wise. Also I would highly recommend not using the HOB overflow as they are prone to failure. Since you have two drilled tanks already it makes sense to use one.

A good setup for a combined fuge/sump is skimmer return pump fuge. That way the skimmer gets raw overflow water and the fuge can still be used effectively. It also allows the fuge to have less flow. Hope this helps.

-Pat

I've moved this to the DIY forum.

So are you planning to have 2 separate 29gallon tanks, one sump, one fuge? If so, I You don't need to do much at all to make a drilled 29 into a fuge. It's pretty much ready to go, just make a large strainer for one of the bulkheads, and drain the tank into the sump (or display tank if the fuge can be placed alongside or above the display).

If your return pump is larger than necessary, I'd feed the fuge with a Tee from the return pump. That makes it easier to adjust flow to the fuge.

As for the sump, I'd just put your skimmer and heaters and drain outlet in one side, then place three or four baffles 2" apart (under, over, under, half-height over), and then have your return pump on the other side of the baffles.

Is that Mag7 a good pump for the skimmer you have? Sounds awfully large?

Nate

Pat said:
You can make a small compartment for the skimmer and have the overflow water go directly into that. This is supposed to yield the best results production wise. Also I would highly recommend not using the HOB overflow as they are prone to failure. Since you have two drilled tanks already it makes sense to use one.

A good setup for a combined fuge/sump is skimmer return pump fuge. That way the skimmer gets raw overflow water and the fuge can still be used effectively. It also allows the fuge to have less flow. Hope this helps.

-Pat

As far as moving the display to the drilled tank... How hard would it be to move a 6" sandbed, 50+lbs of LR, 3 fish and all of my coral between the tanks? Could someone describe the procedure? would I have to setup 2 systems for some period of time?

As far as sump design goes, you suggest something like the following?

|inflow+skimmer|baffles|||||return| fuge |

Thanks for your input! Also, would it be worth all the work to move to the drilled tank if I were planning on moving to a bigger tank in the next year anyway?

thanks!

M.

NateHanson said:
I've moved this to the DIY forum.

So are you planning to have 2 separate 29gallon tanks, one sump, one fuge?

Is that Mag7 a good pump for the skimmer you have? Sounds awfully large?

Nate
I was considering setting up a separate fuge and sump. Anyone think that's a bad idea ? :)

The Mag 7 came with the skimmer from Chuck, it's a pretty big skimmer from what I can tell, about 2 foot tall. What would you recommend I drive it with? I know next to nothing other than how to test water params and acclimate :)

M.

If that pump was working well with the skimmer, then fine. I don't know anything about those skimmers myself, it just seems like a large pump. I've got a 6"x24" venturi skimmer and I drive it with a 450 gph pump.

As for a separate fuge and sump, it's great if you've got space for it. I think a large fuge is a big benefit to your tank.

NateHanson said:
If that pump was working well with the skimmer, then fine. I don't know anything about those skimmers myself, it just seems like a large pump. I've got a 6"x24" venturi skimmer and I drive it with a 450 gph pump.

I guess ill pick up a maxijet and drive the skimmer with that... I dont know how this was all originally configured.

I was planning on setting up a wet mockup of the future configuration in my basement, then emptying everything and moving it upstairs when I have all leaks and plumbing worked out.

M.

I didn't mean to make you change something that works already. If the mag7 worked for who you got it from, then cool.

So let's say I decide to use one of the drilled 29's for my new display tank. How would I move the livestock over to it?

M.

chuck said:
empty tank into buckets, move sand and rock, refill water... move livestock

If I move sand, there will be a cycle from all the crap buried in the sand, won't there ?

M.

Don't move the sand. Get new sand, rinse it thoroughly, add it to the new tank with salt-water, and a couple scoops off the top of your old sandbed. Let it sit a few days or weeks with a powerhead and heater. Then when you're ready to move, just move all the rock and corals into the new tank.

Nate

Back