plumbing, need help

Bear

Non-member
I have a 75g tank with a 150g sump in the cellar just below the tank. I'm going to add two 50g for frag and refuge. the drain from the 75g is 3/4" , and the return at the tank is the same 3/4". out of my sump is 1 1/4 in out to 1 1/4" pipe to 1 1/4" shut off out 1 1/4 reduced to 1" inlet T4 pump, 1" outlet of pump. I'm thinking of using 1 1/4" flex pipe to a reduceer at the return inlet at tank which is 3/4" and on the drain going from the 3/4" to an adaptor to the 1 1/4" flex pipe down to a T which will split for the two 50g tanks. Does that sound good to us a 1 1/4" flex pipe to reduce friction? Or should I stay with 1" flex pipe which would be the size of the in/out of the T4. Don't care about the small increase in cost for the plumbing, just want a better working system!! Any thoughts on that? Thanks for whatever you want to share.
\

Jerry

Not sure I follow the whole design just yet (need to re read) but one thing that jumps out "the drain from the 75g is 3/4"
I would get that to at least 1", the 3/4" is going to limit your flow and leave you no margin for error with drainage.

Is plumbing the supply to the tank over the back of the tank an option? If so, it allows for lots of flexibility. The 1" from the pump which you may decide to make 1.25" can be split into two lower flow returns. Then you could use both tank bulkheads as returns to the sump. Probably overkill but gives piece of mind IMHO. I 1" pump return might be a very concentrated flow source. May want to think about a penductor or something.

My $0.02.

Well, thanks guys, I have a lot to think about. Didn't consider much of what you both said, well mainly cause i don't know what i'm doing!! lol But now have some methods to think about. I might call Nuno, the former tank owner and ask him what the drains are. They look like 3/4" but could be 1".

Jacqur, I can put the returns over the back and split for two where the back of the tank will be in a wall to cover all the plumbing that is there now, and that would solve the problem of what you're saying Marco.

Thanks a heap guys, still don't know what i'm doing but have some knowledge to solve the problem...............or just enough to maybe be dangerous!!! lol

If you guys think of anything else, I would really appriciate it if you let me know, and anybody else reading, don't be shy, come help a new reefer.

Thanks everybody

Jerry

Bear,

My tank is a 125g AGA with an overflow to and return from from the basement. If it helps give you some clarrity you are welcome to come up and take a look at it. Might give you some ideas on what works, and the pros and cons of each.

LMK if you are interested or perhaps someone has a similar set-up closer to Bristol. I'm probably 1hr 05 minutes away.

Good Luck

Back