Need Help With Light

Spooky

Non-member
Well I just got back from a week in PA to find that besides my halides being off the whole time ( I left the tank in an idiots care ) the actual switch for the halides is broken. I have taken the end panel off my light and pushed the switch out. It looks like half the switch melted. I myself have no real electronic repair experience to speak of and really need to get some light over my tank again. The light is a dual 150MH outer orbit. I know the ballast still works the only problem is the switch that turns the halides on. If anyone somewhat local (or not) thinks they might be able to help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Spooky

I am stuck with the kids at home tonight, but if you could get the light over to me I am sure we could figure something out. I am right over in Stoughton, just off of Plain Street so can't be more than 10 minutes away from you. PM me if you are interested and I can shoot you my phone.

FWIW if it's just the switch that's damaged, I would remove it completely and then just use a timer to turn the MH on and off. Just be sure to use a heavy duty grounded timer, (the wimpy ones melt way too easily)

FWIW if it's just the switch that's damaged, I would remove it completely and then just use a timer to turn the MH on and off. Just be sure to use a heavy duty grounded timer, (the wimpy ones melt way too easily)

+1

Just take out the switch and use wire nuts to join the wires together. Everyone should really have their halides on a timer. It's not good for the corals to be lit at different times everyday. The sun is pretty regular. :)

Thanks for the advice and offers of help everyone. I was actually able to meet up with my electrician at his current job site and get the light repaired for free. FWIW the light is/was actually on a hardwired timer my electrician installed some time ago. After looking closely at the switch I found it had actually melted and one of the wires came out. Anyway thanks again, this club is awesome.

If you're looking for a new switch at all, I ordered some extras for my Current Orbit 4x96WPC light that I never ended up using. They *might* be compatible.

Back