i need some help with light for my new tank

julio a reynoso

Non-member
hi everyone i just change my tank few monts ago and i think i need a new king of light because my corals dont look as they use to before in my old tank ,,,,,,, my new tank is about 250 gal and is 48 long by 36 wide and is 32 tall

I wouldn't use T5 on a tank that deep personally. I would go MH or LED and if using LED something with narrower optics (maybe 90*, someone maybe knows better on that) to penetrate deeper.

can't go wrong with halides IMO . Leds will penetrate the water for sure . but only directly under them , again just my opinion

one of my tank is 48x36 but only 24 inch tall. I use 2x175w SE halide with those large reflectors plus a pair of Kessil A150 for supplement.

i was thinking in a mh 400 but the electrical bill will be to high ,i will try to change the optics from 60 to 90 * and if still don't work i ll get mh ....thanks everybody

I use 400w MH with 16k or 20Ks depending in the look I am going for and every grows, I put the lower light loving corals in the edge of the light and all my SPS under the main light and it works well. I also use 250s and they work just as well, but I do prefer the 400w single end bulbs over the double ended 250s.

250watt MH bulbs will be fine in a tank that deep just use a Lumen Bright or the like reflector. The cost is about $15/light/month. If you get a coralvue 400w ballast it adjustable so if the 250w are not working for you you can just start using 400w. running a 400 is going to run approx $20/light/month.

Willing to be people have bulbs around you can try out before taking the actual plunge one way or the other

Back