Need advice maintaining nutrients

chadfish

BRS Member
I’m not running a refugium, but I’m having problems maintaining moderate nutrient levels as my corals grow.

A few weeks ago I had NO3 5-10ppm, PO4 0.03-0.06

Now, I’m down to NO3 0.05ppm (Salifert from the side) PO4=0.00 (Hannah)

I’ve been feeding both fish and coral heavy, and skimming a nice medium between dry and wet.

Algae have responded to the heavy feedings. Bryopsis is back, more bubble algae popping up and the Dino’s are starting to come back.

Folks with lots of growing corals, Do you also see the same effect as corals grow? How do you maintain nutrients?

Last edited:
I dose brightwells neo phos and Neo nitro. For me it's a more dialed-in way of maintaining my nutrients levels

I have a very hard time keeping nitrates in my mixed reef system above 0. I feed a fair bit. My phosphate is higher and more stable. Algae is predominantly coralline. I assume that corals are taking up nitrogenous wastes directly. I occasionally dose Brightwell nitrate, but not consistently.

My zoa tank has higher nitrate and it's not depleted particularly quickly. I think the sps really soak it up. Easily more coralline algae in the zoa tank, so I think it's not taking up much no3.

I have a very hard time keeping nitrates in my mixed reef system above 0. I feed a fair bit. My phosphate is higher and more stable. Algae is predominantly coralline. I assume that corals are taking up nitrogenous wastes directly. I occasionally dose Brightwell nitrate, but not consistently.

My zoa tank has higher nitrate and it's not depleted particularly quickly. I think the sps really soak it up. Easily more coralline algae in the zoa tank, so I think it's not taking up much no3.
My coralline growth is modest, at best. All the other algae rule.

Back