Need advice on new reef tank

Zirky (Joe) lent me a Reefbreeders Photon V2 Plus to try. I put it up to 100% on all channels, and the fans don't come on at all. Looking good. I am going to heat up a closet to 90 degrees with a space heater, and see if the fans will come on then or how loud they are. The only other concern is disco effect, not sure how to evaluate them for that without a tank.
There is a fair amount of disco effect from my V2s. My acrylic tank has a lid that acts as a diffuser which helps quite a bit - but I don’t think that’s a very popular approach.

I have reefi’s and love them. they may be more suited to a higher mounting option than is available in a canopy since they are pucks. I’ve never heard a fan. Also I couldn’t find a negative review

I have two 30’s and don’t hear them at all.
I find Radions to be loud only if allowed to get dirty. If cleaned regularly (at least for me) I really can't say they are loud at all. And I have over a dozen running on many different setups.
For the most part cleaning is mearly running a shop vac over the fan every other week, then take apart and clean once a year. No complaints using this method and with these units.
But my customers already know not to expect silent if they want a well designed system that truly recreates a piece of the Ocean. ;)

@N_E_M_O, could you comment on my table above? You were talking about difficulty dialing in the Reefbreeders in a mixed reef. Could that be related to coverage? I'm wondering if the LEDs/sq in or Watts/sq in are useful to look at. You said the Radions are easier to dial in on a mixed reef, and they are at the high end of the LED/sq in and Watts/sq in. And the Reefbreeders are at the low end. Could that be why?
I'm not much of one for tables like that for comparison. Its not apples to apples, it apples to oranges, lol
You are ignoring so much and only considering a little. The LED chips themselves are very different from unit/company/model, and cant be compared by just ur basic w/sq in type of formula. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a Honda. Both cars, but very different parts and performance and price.

With that being said, I found the difficulty in dialing in a Photon vs a Radion for the best results in an SPS dominant mixed reef to be the actual units, leds, and placement. The Photon gave almost too good of coverage, and when SPS were looking the best LPS started to get pale and vice versa. Now this could be in coordination with other variables in the environment or could be lighting.
But, with Radion being a truer point of source light, the spread is a bit easier to manage. And its much more similar to metal halide lighting as far as light refraction.

Ah, interesting. I never thought of that. So coverage can be your enemy if you want to try to grow corals with different PAR needs.

I find Radions to be loud only if allowed to get dirty. If cleaned regularly (at least for me) I really can't say they are loud at all. And I have over a dozen running on many different setups.
For the most part cleaning is mearly running a shop vac over the fan every other week, then take apart and clean once a year. No complaints using this method and with these units.
But my customers already know not to expect silent if they want a well designed system that truly recreates a piece of the Ocean. ;)
o i agree, I wanted mine as quite as possible but knew silent isn't a reality I really didn't look into the noise level of my lights. I also have my sump and skimmer in the same room because of the placement of my tank. The skimmer is by far the biggest noise but still tolerable.

I'd think noise would be secondary consideration to performance, but here's something to consider. Anyone running equipment with cooling fans knows dust accumulates on the blades and can collect around the inlet right? The relatively small amount that collects on the blades has a certain mass and dirty fans tend to vibrate. Sound is vibration essentially and clean fans will be quieter and more efficient right?....
Take a filter pad similar to Marineland's bonded pad and make a little air filter. Not only will you be surprised how much dust is in your house, but the blades stay clean and the pad will also act as a silencer. Making a super slick 3D cover with inlet area at least equal to if not slightly larger than that of the fan would further reduce noise. I'm surprised these aren't offered already honestly........

I have an old ReefBreeders V1 photon from the stone age. I wouldn't call it quiet after a millennium of use and wear on the fans, but it's nearly silent with 3 little round foam pads on the inlets.

Far from it, and thanks for the interest!

Just waiting for stuff to arrive. Long wait for the tank. Right now I’m thinking about aquascaping. Any suggestions appreciated. For lights, I think I’m gong with the GHL Mitras. Have one in order to check out the fan noise.

Far from it, and thanks for the interest!

Just waiting for stuff to arrive. Long wait for the tank. Right now I’m thinking about aquascaping. Any suggestions appreciated. For lights, I think I’m gong with the GHL Mitras. Have one in order to check out the fan noise.
I hear the GHL ecosystem is good. Are you getting the controller and the alktronic too?

So any rockscape suggestions for my 72x28x28 tank? I’d like to come up with something that anticipates where the future coral placement will be.

So any rockscape suggestions for my 72x28x28 tank? I’d like to come up with something that anticipates where the future coral placement will be.
I suggest building your own rock structure from dry rock, I like the negative space aquascapes and built something recently for my 72x36 footprint build

Thanks. Can you post pictures of yours?

1647451005654.png

Back