Need To Drill My Tank ...

jacko

Coral Curator
So, what's the consensus on drilling a living reef tank?

I would really like to eliminate my overflow box. Tank is 30 gallons. How risky would it be to drill it now?

Anyone have a diamond bit and a little spare time?

Its risky to drill a full tank, but possible. You probably don't want to do it at like, 11:00 on a saturday, because if you break it, there aren't any options until the following day.

Since it is only 30 gallons, I'd suggest just draining, drilling, and refillling.

I've drilled quite a few tanks now, and the biggest issue with the smaller tanks is less glass. Its thin, and you can break it much more easily than a larger tank.

Piscevore said:
Its risky to drill a full tank, but possible. You probably don't want to do it at like, 11:00 on a saturday, because if you break it, there aren't any options until the following day.

OR on New Year's Day :)

Since it is only 30 gallons, I'd suggest just draining, drilling, and refillling.

I would definately drain the water to 1/2 or 1/3 height. But I would not remove the fish, rocks, etc..

I've drilled quite a few tanks now, and the biggest issue with the smaller tanks is less glass. Its thin, and you can break it much more easily than a larger tank.
Right.
cool. anyone else with experience want to chime in?

I drilled my 20L with the whole Dremel diamond jewelery bit thing. Was actually pretty easy, theres plenty of posts on RC, you can look it up there. I wouldnt recommend doing it with fish in though..just get trshbarrel you can put the stuff in, and do it the right way.

Rich

Marvin and I drilled my office tank 29G full of water and fish. We used the Dremel with the ceramic bit.

Yes I do, and if you are not inna hurry, we can drill your tank right after I move.

How do I know if my 75g AGA tank has the tempered bottom or not? Seems like it comes both ways.. tempered = not drillable from what I hear..

And once I do drill it if i can, can I get the overflow and etc, from AGA for it?

Am i better of getting a reef-ready 90 ;-)

Well..

There is a 75E and a 75

E = Tempered bottom.

But if I go to my basement and look at it how do I know if it's an "E" ??

75 Gallon 48x18x20
75 E Gallon 48x18x20

I'll look it over.. would the tempered glass be thinner than reg glass??
Maybe it has the part # on it somwhere..

Last edited:
You can tell if glass is tempered using two polarized lenses, like sunglasses. I'm actually not clear on what you do, but PM scott merril and he'll tell you how.

Nate

jacko,

I'd really like to hear how drilling the full 29 works out. I've been wanting to add a sump, but can't lower the water by 1" without drying out corals. And, I am not that interested in an overhead sump. So please post again and let us know how it went!

I have not done it, and I am not convinced that I will.
I am worried about cracking it, and I don't know if it is worth the risk ( I mean the overflow has not failed in a year)

I would like to upgrade tanks, but I love my established DSB.

Back