New Oceanic Tech tank build

ZenMastr1968

Non-member
Hello all,
I wanted to start chronicling my new 70g Oceanic Tech tank. Here are a couple of pictures of what I'm starting with.

Attachments

• tank2.bmp
    11.3 KB · Views: 2,702
  • tank1.bmp
    11.5 KB · Views: 2,682
Ok, those pictures turned out smaller than I thought (I'll try harder next time ;) ). Anyway, along with the tank and stand, that is the 150W MH version of the coralife aqualight pro. I've also picked up a Eheim 1262 return pump (kind of large - I know), Aqua C Urchin Pro skimmer w/Rio 1400, 200W titatium heater, and am currently working on a DYI sump/refugium for under the cabinet. I'll keep the thread going as I put it together. Thanks for all the help and info so far! :cool:

penguinsix, I have heard that and somewhat worse about Rio's in general. It's what ships with the Urchins, so I'll have to make a decision about it by the time the tank is ready to cycle the new LR - which probably won't be for a few weeks.... I've got to wait for the weather to warm up a bit in order to build the sump :(.

I've heard similar complaints/comments about Mag's as well, so what would folks suggest for a replacement for the Rio on the skimmer? pickup another smaller Eheim??

Eheim is the way to go if you have the $. I wouldn't put a Rio in either.

Ok, well - the Rio 1400 is listed at 420 GPH @ 0' with a 3/4" outlet on MarineDepot....

so based on above, the Eheim 1250 seems under powered comparatively (at 317 GPH). I've read posts around ReefCentral that many feel the stock Rio is underpowered for that skimmer in the first place and have gone with Mag 5s and even Mag 9s with 500 and 700 GPH respectively.

which leaves the Eheim 1260 at 635 GPH @ 0' with a 3/4" outlet. So that's another $120....

You can always use the rio for mixing saltwater for water changes. Not much danger doing that.

If you want to save money just go with a mag 7 instead, for $50 or so. I'd have trouble dropping that much for a pump, but then, I've never used an Eheim, so maybe they're just that good. I don't know.

I've heard stories of Mag's heating up the tanks as well - never owned one myself...

Yah, I could always use the Rio elsewhere - I'll have to figure out how I'm going to do water changes on this new tank anyway. I'm used to making up a 2g bucket of water to change out my 10g....I don't think that bucket is going to do much on this tank :cool: .

Can someone tell the problem with Rios please. What specifically do people mean by the comment that "they have been known to nuked tanks"

Here is another try at the original pictures :) Much better....

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,811
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,743
Just an update: I've been waiting for the weather to get better so I can start building the sump - no such luck. I had gambled the end of last month and put in to take next week off thinking that the weather would have turned around enough by then - not looking like it. :(

Here's a link to the sump building thread if you want to follow along with that....
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43656

They explode and leak oil into the tank killing everything.

Thats not true.

They overheat, and melt the plastic casing. Its melted plastic in the tank, not oil. What causes the problems is that the copper coil is exposed when the plastic melts, and quickly oxidizes in salt water.

They overheat, and melt the plastic casing. Its melted plastic in the tank, not oil. What causes the problems is that the copper coil is exposed when the plastic melts, and quickly oxidizes in salt water.

I always thought it was an oil that caused the issue, thanks for clearing that up.

Oceanrunner - ah??? I'll take a look. Thanks for the tip..... ;)

Looks like Drs F&S has the 2500 for about $60 plus shipping.... not too bad.

Last edited:
Ditch the 1260 and buy an Oceanrunner 3500 (or 2500). Much more flow, just as nice of a pump, way more electrically efficient, and much cheaper.

Love my OR's.....have a meshmod needlewheel 2500 that really drives a skimmer I run....

Well it's been entirely too long collecting capital......;)

I ended up getting an opportunity last month to pick up cured Fiji at a price I couldn't pass up, so I purchased #80 and temporarily set it up in a 50 gal rubbermaid tub. That gave me a chance to sort of setup the pumps and skimmer to test them out a bit. I didn't like what the Rio 1400 was doing/producing with the Urchin - so I picked up the OceanRunner 2700 (needlewheel modified 2500) which made a big improvement. To keep the flow up, I put in the Rio and the Eheim 1262 into the tub. Seemed to look good and was producing an ok amount out of the skimmer. I quickly found out what everyone was talking about with the heat issue....all those pumps in the water was raising the temp about 10 degrees :( (which means it was at 90).

So, I've been playing/experimenting with some concepts for the pumps/skimmer the last month or so. Before I finalize the sump design, I want to make sure it will all fit under the stand properly and still be a good design. In my experimentation I've discovered what was truly meant by "not self-priming" pumps.... It seems like the water level has to be at least to the level of the pump shaft and neither of these pumps (I'm not counting or including the Rio in the actual design) seem to work vertically :(.

So, it seems like the only way to move these pumps out of the water (and thus not add heat to the system) is to go external to the sump. Or I suppose I could create some sort of chamber in the sump where no water could get to, then at least if there was a leak, etc... it would be partially contained.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments on externally mounted pumps and how to organize them for maximum space efficiency????

Thanks.

Back