New Sump project this weekend

pantinor

Non-member
I just made a new sump for my 55 gallon and installed it this weekend.

I was able to divert the drain of my single overflow into the refugium and the main return skimmer comparment by modifying an old bakpak hangon skimmer.

new sump 1
new sump 2
new sump 3
new sump 4

This is a design F from Marc Levensons sump page:
Levensons sump page.

Its working pretty well, except for the drain to the refuge has too many bubbles, will fix this with another project some other weekend.

What do you think? :)

Looks REALLY NICE!

When space allows it, ending a baffle set with an under baffle is more effective. An over baffle at the end actually doesn't add anything as far as bubble removal, but is sometimes needed, to contain a sandbed for instance.

Very attractive sump. I'm jealous. :)

That si really nice looking. How do you cut perfect "U"'s in the plexi like that? Drill and saw? I know I can't get it like that with a dremel.

I used my router handheld with a flush trim bit, and then for the teeth, I just manually made the cuts with the fence at the depth I wanted them. I am a little disappointed with the teeth because I used too wide of a bit, and I think some critters like a pepermint shrimp or small snail has a chance to get through.

I will probably try to improve the drain divertor later as well and make a custom one that lets less bubbles down the refuge drain.

But I am satisfied with it overall, I dont have the humm vibration from the mag pump anymore now thgat its submerged, it was external last time.

got a little noisy gurgle in my overflow will have to figure that one out too.

NateHanson said:
Try a router table steve.
LOL...I'm still thinking in "Condo" terms. I wish I had a router table. I have a pretty good table saw....at my wife's parents house. I live in a small condo now...I have no room for tools here :(

Back