sump project (finally)

Jo,the water definitely isn't high enough in the skimmer body.
Is there any way to restrict the exiting water by a gate valve or something?
How about the recommended water height in the sump?

I figured it out... i actually need to run two pumps on it not one. The skimmer pump itself is only recirculating which is why the water is not high enough, there is another inlet which i thought was used as an outlet, which water should be fed via overflow or a powerhead. I'm working on that now.

Yeah, i was aware that it was recirculating, but i thought that the skimmer pump did both feeding and recirculating that water, Guess not though =).

Right now its up and running again, and the water level is where it should be =).

Wondering if it makes any sense to put some LR in my sump?

I dont really know... I have some room between the skimmer and the return pump that im going to separate with some egg crate (white plastic stuff) .. maybe i should through some LR in there.. aid in filtration and breaking up of micro bubbles?

Thoughts?

Can't hurt.
I know when I can afford to throw some in my 70 gallon I'll definitly be doing it.Are you getting any microbubbles in the display?

Hard to tell.... I think i may be, but i cant tell if its just the turbulence yet.... i was when i first started with the skimmer (well when i started an hour ago) then i added too sponges to the outlets so most of them popped before they hit the water. But the sponges aren't stopping all of them.

It's probably just the "new"plastic thing going on where bubble stick to everything in the skimmer.How much water do you figure you're pushing through the sump?

Well with all of the head loss on the pump.. im gonna put the output of it at somewhere around 700 gph, but then its throttled back a good deal so i would probably say somewhere between 500-600.. although thats really only a guess.

You got any ideas on a good way to tell?

You know,the only way I can figure to do it would be to take a gallon or better yet a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with the overflow and time it.
But really,I'm not that worried about how much it is as long as it don't bury the overflow.lol
Maybe sometime I'll do that for chips and giggles.

Yeah exactly... I mean im sure some water is bypassing the whole thing, and not even running through my skimmer, but That happens in all systems pretty much right?

And adding water volume and flow to a tank is never a bad thing to begin with, if i can get a good skimmer going as well, well then i've done three things to improve my tank =).

By the way Bob, we both went to the same first meeting, you sat at the table next to me during Mike Palettas Lecture =). Amazing that you have 800 more posts then me =).

Nice job on the sump. Rubble is good thing to add. A filter sock is nice to polish the water and will help with micro bubbles too. Socks do require regular maintenance though. If you wanted to change your plumbing you could feed your skimmer with the drain directly. Put in a T and gate valve to control the flow to the skimmer.

Yeah rosey, I figured out that feeding it from the overflow was the way to go after the fact...

I was thinking about a filter sock, Maybe i should go ahead and do that.

I did add a pit of LR, a bit larger than rubble size, but still not big pieces. I'm pretty happy with the way i have it set up so far, just need the skimmer to begin working correctly =/.

Thanks for all the help guys, you've been great =).

"By the way Bob, we both went to the same first meeting, you sat at the table next to me during Mike Palettas Lecture =). Amazing that you have 800 more posts then me =)."

Yup,I remember that.That was a great lecture also.
I basically work at a computer all day.So it's really easy to chalk up a few post during the day when things are boring.:p

Hey, i was thinking today and i think i might have recognized a problem.

Power fails: Then comes back on.... If i'm not standing right there when it comes back on the return will pump all of the water from the sump into the display... this is where usually the overflow comes into play, but if i lose power, wont the overflow lose its siphon?

If the siphon on the overflow box is broke, then It's gonna cause a flood =/.

A siphon overflow shouldn't lose it's siphon just because of a power outage.As long as there's water trapped at both ends of the U tube(the baffle before the downspout).Then when the tank refills water will again start to flow through the tube again.

I don't think its going to because i don't have the "aqualifter" pump to go with the box.

I came up with my own solution though, that is pretty much fool proof =).

I'm simply going to raise the return pump in the water surface, so it has less water that it is able to pump up out of the sump...basically just raising it off the bottom of the sump up a few inches so it can't pump ALL of the water out of the sump in the event of a failure.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back