My basement sump project

Nice looking sump Bob. Extra points for artistic pluming.

And I'm impressed with the dremel-hole-saw. Having done (watched jimmyj do, actually) one with a drill press, I know that's not work for the impatient. Add in the requirement for a steady hand and it's a feat.

That cut is freehand over a traced circle?

Thanks Scott,

I'm hoping to have some water running through the refugium tonight.
Yeah,I cut that free hand after tracing the bulkhead.
The ball end bit seemed to be easy to control.I just lightly worked my way around the trace mark to get it etched.Then started adding water to the area trapped by the plumber's putty.And slowly just kept working around the circle letting the bit do the cutting(no force).This has been done quite a bit on nanoreef.The trick is to make sure the hole is a little bigger than the bulkhead the first time.I guess it would be a bummer to enlarge it later.

Last edited:
Done for now

Got the 10 gallon refugium and the stand in the room.
The stand was a hassle.First I took the door off and figured that would do it..........nope.:rolleyes:Ended up having to take the plywood top off.
Looks like i'm getting about 30 gallon an hour through the fug with this config.
It's been up since Friday and other than a little tweaking on the ball valves seems to be working fine.I would imagine that I'll have to change that light(standard 2 bulb for a 10 gallon).I read a thread about fixtures from H.D,probably go that route.Anyways,these pictures aren't the greatest,but you'll get the idea.The only thing left is to run a poly line down from the ro/di in the washroom upstairs and hook up a float valve in the ole Rubber Maid.
Trucking 5 gallon water bottles down the stairs is no fun.:eek:
Then of coarse the ATO will be the next device to add.
I know this is probably a little much for a 55 gallon.But I look at it this way,i'll be all ready if I decide to upgrade in the future.:D
Here's a couple more poor quality cell pictures.Hopefully I'll be able to spend money on a camera now.:p

I read a thread about fixtures from H.D,probably go that route.

On my fuge, I use a Lights of America 27watt 6500k fixture that I got at HD for 37 bucks. They have a 65watt 6500k version for 42 dollars. So far I am happy with my purchase but I would go with the 65 watt if I did it again. If you use this fixture, you will need to wire on a power cable. I cut the end of an old computer power cable and it works great. However, the fixture only has 2 wires (no ground) so a simple 2 pin cable would work.

Looking really good BOB. Must be nice to have a bench to mix up kalk and stuff on. You need a 15 or 20 long up on there to use as a frag tank. Then you have a sweet bench to sit at and frag stuff up.

Looking really good BOB. Must be nice to have a bench to mix up kalk and stuff on. You need a 15 or 20 long up on there to use as a frag tank. Then you have a sweet bench to sit at and frag stuff up.

Thanks Jenn,

Funny you mention that.:D
I have a 20L out in the other part of my basement set up that has some more chaeto,1 inch sandbed,PVC.It also has a CPR Bakpak skimmer,Aquaclear 50,Current 65 watt PC.Heck,I even have a spare Koralia #1.:)It was my first tank,I think that might work out pretty good for a frag tank.Best part about it is if I spill some water it's not a big deal.Other than the"could slip"factor.:rolleyes:

On my fuge, I use a Lights of America 27watt 6500k fixture that I got at HD for 37 bucks. They have a 65watt 6500k version for 42 dollars. So far I am happy with my purchase but I would go with the 65 watt if I did it again. If you use this fixture, you will need to wire on a power cable. I cut the end of an old computer power cable and it works great. However, the fixture only has 2 wires (no ground) so a simple 2 pin cable would work.

Yup,that's exactly what I did.Lights of America 65 watt 6500K.
I kept this suggestion in the back of my mind for when I had a little extra to buy a light.Then I noticed my father had one laying around that he had removed from the barn.(what a score):D.He gave it to me,I changed the bulb,cleaned it up and bingo....didn't work.:confused:One thing to keep in mind if you puchase one of these lights.If you test it outside,it has a photo light sensor on it.:eek:
The other day I made a bracket for it and mounted it over the refugium.
Made up a plug from an old lamp cord.Just need to plug it into a timer on reverse cycle and I'm all set.:)

I **still** think you're leaving an awful lot of volume on the table without putting the level up in that sump.

As an example, my 150g sump is at the correct level at about 4.5" from the top.

If I shut off my main pump, the following things drain:

My 92, down to the overflow, plus 25' of PVC
My 72, down to the overflow, plus 110' of PVC
My 40g refugium, down to the overflow
My 40g chaeto fuge, down to the overflow
My 17g pod motel that feeds my fuge for the mandarin, down to the bulkhead
My 17g timeout tank, down to the bulkhead
2 filter bags
My octo skimmer.

It still doesn't overfill my sump. Raise that skimmer, man!!! It's all about the volume baby! Think about all the extra dosing you can do :D

I hear you Jay,I'm going to get that skimmer up and the water level higher over the weekend.;)
There is a platflorm holding that skimmer at least 6 inches off the bottom now.
And I have 8-12 inches to spare to the top.
But I'll"git er done".:cool:

wow awesome job, looks amazing

Thanks,

As fate would have it I've decided to upgrade with the "refund"money I recieved.:D...I ended up purchasing a used AGA 90 gallon RR that I'll be putting in over the long weekend(hopefully).I'll be tying this into the system through the new tanks Megaflow.This will be the largest tank I'll upgrade to....well upstairs anyways.:p
I'll take a couple of pictures after the BIG switch.Man,I'm into this bad.;)

Upgrade to AGA 90

Well,not even a year and I upgrade to a 90 gallon.:eek:
I never really felt too comfortable with the U tube overflow even though I never had any issues with it.This tank came up for sale and the stand/canopy matched the room.It took me about 4-5 hrs Sunday to make the switch.And at least one ride to Home Depot for plumbing stuff.Found out that I left the PVC glue open from by last project.:rolleyes:
I still have the canopy to get in place.But I didn't want to have to keep removing it til I got things arrainged.
Can I get a Tang now?...........:p
Anyways,here's a few pictures with my crappy cell phone.

As I've let you know - this looks great. It's almost like the feeling of when you (editorial you! lol) first started huh? Only, ya know, without the anxiety around all the death and destruction you experience from doing things wrong in the beginning! :D

"As I've let you know - this looks great. It's almost like the feeling of when you (editorial you! lol) first started huh? Only, ya know, without the anxiety around all the death and destruction you experience from doing things wrong in the beginning!"

Thanks Jason,

When I first got started I did what a lot of new hobbyest do....impulse buy.
Then it's hurry and get some stuff in there.I'll bet that there's a lot of reefers that have better success or should I say patience on the 2nd upgrade.
This is really my 3rd as I went from a 20L to a 55 then now to the 90.:eek:

"IT MUST BE NICE. Sorry I had to yell over the sound of my tank."

At night there's a slight hum can be heard from the basement.I still have a few ceiling panels out that I should re-install.Other than that there's just a faint gurgle from the overflow.I'm amazed at how quiet if is compared to the U tube.Even with the silencer that I made up for that.I also have the Mak 4 wide open so the Mega-flow has no problem handling the extra flow.

Dumping the mag pump and skimmer under my kitchen tank was the best thing I could have done. I cannot hear my basement reeflo pump from the family room. All I hear now is a little splash from the returns, and a little hum from the Vortec wavemaker on the 92.

One odd thing that happened to me is when I changed out the the drain bulkhead 1" the Megaflow didn't seem to fit tightly in the new bulkhead.When the overflow filled the Durso popped out and the water rushed down the pipe.I ended up putting some teflon tape around there and that made it tighter.I'm sure once the gunk and coralline start it will be stuck tight for sure.

Last edited:
congrats on the new tank Bob! same one i have. can't really compare to the 55. good luck with it.

Back