Newbie help - first fish has popeye !

RichBulman

Non-member
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and to the hobby. I bought an existing tank with rocks and coral a few weeks ago and added my first fish last week.

Had the water tested at Skipton's and all looks good, PH and alkilinity are a little high, but they said it was ok to go ahead.

I bought a dwarf angel fish and now see that it has a popped out eye on one side only.

What do I do ?? Can it be saved or is on it's way out ?

Also concerned that the tank temp is getting up to 80 degrees in this heat, could this be the reason ?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Rich

Was the fish caught with a net? It could have been damaged then. Poor water quality, parasites, bacteria etc... can also cause it. I would get a good test kit and test yourself so you can test more frequently and when needed. 80 degrees isn't to high. Thats what I keep my tank at. Just make sure the temperature doesn't fluctuate alot in a short time. I'd start of by doing a good size water change. If you are going to use medicine like melafix or something you should put the fish in a quarantine tank and treat in there. If its a minor case it will heal with no permanant damage. If its more serious and the eye appears grey or cloudy it could leave the fish blind. Or if it gets bad enough it could die. Good luck.

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and to the hobby. I bought an existing tank with rocks and coral a few weeks ago and added my first fish last week.

Had the water tested at Skipton's and all looks good, PH and alkilinity are a little high, but they said it was ok to go ahead.

I bought a dwarf angel fish and now see that it has a popped out eye on one side only.

What do I do ?? Can it be saved or is on it's way out ?

Also concerned that the tank temp is getting up to 80 degrees in this heat, could this be the reason ?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Rich
Hi Rich,

fishswim.gif

to the Boston Reefers' Society!

I wouldn't do anything for the pop-eye right now. Just wait it out. Most times this problem will right itself. Keep a watch though. If the problem lasts more than a week, it may be time to take action. Give us an update in 3 days, and again in 7 days.

I agree that 80 degrees isn't hot. Fish can tolerate the heat pretty well. Corals don't do well above 85 in my experience. I have had a tank go to 94 with no effects on the fish at all. I did lose corals, but the fish were okay. Just have to be concerned about oxygen when the heat gets above 85. If you have good water motion and a vigorous skimmer working, then you've got plenty of oxygen above 85.
But again, at 80 you should have no concerns. It's not causing the pop-eye.

Thanks for your help. I'll ride it out and see how it does through the week. Hopefully I don't have to set up a quarantine tank.... still trying to get my wife to accept the first one !!!

I don't know how the fish was caught, I didn't think to ask. Glad to know the tank temp isn't too high.

Best Regards,
Rich

Welcome to the forum Rich
I am so happy to see that you are actively gathering knowledge on the hobby.. there is a lot to learn ;) when my husband and I started years ago, we lived in Tennessee and there were very few people around to help.. this club is great to get you going in the right direction and keep it fun! :) never be afraid to ask about something.. sometimes something that seems insignificant.. is actually a really big thing...

my advice.. try your best to keep things as stable as possible.. you would be surprised at what a tank can take... as long as things don't change.. or at least change really slowly :)

brsanime.gif

Thanks Sarah for your kind words. I have actually always wanted a saltwater tank, but never took the time.

Was just laughing with my wife that this is my first real hobby. Lots of sports interests but no real hobbies.

There really is a lot to know. I have read 1 1/2 books so far in the past two weeks and still not feeling very confident !

I'll stay with the one fish for now till I am sure the tank is stable.

Thanks again for your kind welcome and help.

Rich

Thanks Sarah for your kind words. I have read 1 1/2 books so far in the past two weeks and still not feeling very confident !
your welcome :)
if you become a paid member of the club you will get access to our library.. we have tons of great books.. I always like to flip through them at the meetings myself
don't' worry about your confidence...it is actually probably good that you feel that way.. it means to me that you are actually doing your homework and are developing a good respect for all that it takes :) we are here to help you...... you are never alone around here ... keep that in mind.. even in the middle of the night there seems to be people online that can help you out if you need it.

It helps me to go and see other people's working systems in person... rather than just in a book.. usually the stores will even let you see "backstage" if you express interest.... you will notice that everyone is a little/or a lot different in their setups... there is no set in stone way of doing anything really.. certainly things that work better than others... and there are some definite do-not-dos

don't rush it and stay to the easier to keep stuff for a while and you will get your confidence up... there are a lot of easier/starter corals that can be found for really cheap/free... and if you do happen to loose something in the beginning... don't loose sleep over it... we have all lost things... we hate to admit it/ and do our best to avoid it... but that is the great thing about the club... we share our captive corals and if one person kills their piece, someone else keeps it alive... so the impact on the environment is minimized...

ok enough rambling... welcome welcome welcome... to the vast sea of knowledge and experience that is the Boston Reefers!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words and advise. Happy to report that the fishes eye is looking much (almost all) better !

Hopefully I can starting adding to the tank soon once I am sure it is ok.

Working on a setup for a quarantine tank, but wondering if I can find the room here. Four kids, dog , cat , gerbil, two fresh water tanks and a little girl who really wants a bunny !!!

Calgon take me away !!!

Seriously though, I do find the fish tank to be a really relaxing thing to look at. I think that is why I like it !

Thanks again,
Rich

Back