Nitrates on the rise

GobyWanKenobie

BRS Member
What's a good way to reduce nitrates? My foxface ate all the beneficial macroalgae in my tank. It is an all-in-one RSM 250 so I do not have a sump and cannot easily install any kind of reactor for biopellets.

I'm not super familiar with the setup on those, but is there any way to use an HOB fuge to keep hungry mouths away? Maybe use an acclimation box?

I'm not super familiar with the setup on those, but is there any way to use an HOB fuge to keep hungry mouths away? Maybe use an acclimation box?
I thought of the HOB fuge, but then I would need a pump and a light. My tank is in the family room, so noise is a consideration. The acclimation box is a good idea. I tried a net/bag, but he drags it around the tank.

You could just dose a liquid form of carbon, like vodka/vinegar or a mix of both, rather than installing a bio pellet reactor. Will serve the same purpose and is less maintenance/easier to dial in IMO.

You could just dose a liquid form of carbon, like vodka/vinegar or a mix of both, rather than installing a bio pellet reactor. Will serve the same purpose and is less maintenance/easier to dial in IMO.
Do you do carbon dosing? The last time I tried vodka (many years ago), I ended up with a cotton candy type algae that was impossible to get rid of. I wonder if I should give it another try. Maybe the foxface will eat that too! He's very efficient. My tank has never been this clean.

Do you do carbon dosing? The last time I tried vodka (many years ago), I ended up with a cotton candy type algae that was impossible to get rid of. I wonder if I should give it another try. Maybe the foxface will eat that too! He's very efficient. My tank has never been this clean.
Not currently, but I have in the past. Very important to have a skimmer to increase surface agitation and export some of the bacteria - do you have one on the tank? I know not everyone would put one on a smaller tank like that, but it may be worth it if you’re looking for more ways to export nutrients.

Not currently, but I have in the past. Very important to have a skimmer to increase surface agitation and export some of the bacteria - do you have one on the tank? I know not everyone would put one on a smaller tank like that, but it may be worth it if you’re looking for more ways to export nutrients.
The skimmer is built into the back chamber, and I run it for about an hour everyday. If I can't find a way to grow my favorite algae again, I'll try the carbon dosing.

why only an hour a day? My first course of action would be to run the skimmer 24/7 and see how your nutrients react
I don't get a lot of skimmate, and I don't like the noise. My tank was fine until the new fish messed up the balance of things. Maybe my nitrates have always been high. I don't usually test for it, but now that I know, I think I should be proactive. Something is bothering my chalices, and that's the only thing that's off.

Last edited:
I have found Chaeto under an intense refug light to be the best nitrate reduction. and you can dial the nitrate level by hrs/day on the refug light. I regret having tried to do vodka dosing for so many years stripping my tank too aggressively. Cyano problems.

Back