Nitrates

WildBill

WildBill
Are my nitrates okay or what???

I use Salifert test kits. My nitrates been between 2.5, and 5. I read the test vial by viewing from the side, and dividing by 10.

36G, HOB skimmer and fuge. 130W PC lighting, Maxi900, and 600 for movement.

Amm-0
Nitrate-0
Nitrate-5
Temp 80.6
PH-8.1
SG-1.0235

1 Diamond Goby, 1 Green Clown Goby, 1 Pygmy Angel, 2 Clowns, 1BTA,
9 corals, plus cleanup crew.

Water changes of 5G every 7-10 days.

Thanks...........WildBill

attachment.php

I'd say your nitrates are fine, but if this is a new tank I'd keep testing them from time to time to see if they are building up. Your HOB fuge should help, and doing water changes as often as you indicate will keep them down. Personally I wouldn't worry about nitrates in the single digits. Let's see what the pros say.

How does your livestock look? They are a pretty good indicator. Any ick? BTA staying inflated? Corals pollipy?

Thanks Nate but I don't know if I would call myself an expert. Maybe Greg might fall into that category. However less than 10 is still a good number IMO

Nitrates were 1.5 before livestock was added over last 2 mos. Tanks is 3 months old. BTA stays inflated all the time, closes slightly after lights out, clowns host there. Corals doing fine, very perky during lighting period, and in at dark.

I feed 2x/day and mix it up. Mysid/Brine/Formula 2 Flake. And the BTA 1 krill twice a week.

No green algae, some cyano bacteria that i try to control with the baster. Again setup is only 3 months old.

really I wouldn't worry about it...if it get to the 10-15 range id do a water change...but thats not that bad....maybe I missed it, did you test phos...?

id say for that size your on top of things...doesn't seem to be that bad. just keep doing changes if you see any nitrites or phos...or if nitrates go above 10 or 15

Sounds like things are going great. Keep trimming your macro so it has room to get more light and grow. Every bit that grows is captured nitrates, phosphates and other bad stuff (exactly what is in plant food)

Back