Official Glass Cages Group buy

Hey guys,

Need your help. I am seriously considering ordering a starphire rimless tank from them.

- anyone know if their rimless tanks are strong?
- I am thinking 40L x 24" W x 20" High. I was considering ordering one of the commercially made setups from Elos but their sizes are no good for me (they come in 29"W or 48" wide.. one is too small, the other is too big!). I am trying to go as wide as possible with just one HQI pendant (preferably 150W) instead of a dual setup.

Any advice?

I cant help you directly, but that is the tank I am ordering (Rimless starphire)...if you dont order now I will let you know how mine looks. I am only nervous about the silicone job, as on this kind of tank its pretty important to have it close to perfect. I'm not sure how tall it can go rimless before it gets crazy expensive, but I'm sure they wouldnt offer to build it if it wasnt going to last. I was told for an 18" tall tank, I would need 3/8" sides and a 1/2" tempered bottom preferably. Hope that helps a bit

Hey guys,

Need your help. I am seriously considering ordering a starphire rimless tank from them.

- anyone know if their rimless tanks are strong?
- I am thinking 40L x 24" W x 20" High. I was considering ordering one of the commercially made setups from Elos but their sizes are no good for me (they come in 29"W or 48" wide.. one is too small, the other is too big!). I am trying to go as wide as possible with just one HQI pendant (preferably 150W) instead of a dual setup.

Any advice?

Just ordered my tank...I have to say, nothing I have read about them thus far has been correct. They were nothing but professional and pleasant speaking with me, answered all of my questions, and had no problem giving me numerous quotes. We'll see how the tank looks...

Perhaps. I am also crazy nervous about the seams on the tank exploding with a rimless, and it seems safer to go with the commercial brand in fixed sizes that uses commercial grade silicone for these kinds of tanks. But it would be nice to order a tank in a size that I want. *dilemma*

Perhaps. I am also crazy nervous about the seams on the tank exploding with a rimless, and it seems safer to go with the commercial brand in fixed sizes that uses commercial grade silicone for these kinds of tanks. But it would be nice to order a tank in a size that I want. *dilemma*

No real dilemma,
If their reputation makes you nervous you could just order from manufacturer with a reputation for high quality.

a 90 day warranty bothers me more.
Do you have some first hand experience with Glass Cages? Just curious cause that's your 3rd anti-GC post in this thread, so if there is some specific info you can share with us, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

I Can give you a little first hand experience, I recently purchased one of there tanks third party but still in wrapped up in plastic from the manufacturer, The general build of the tank IMO is solid, real solid, the seams and the cuts are OK (not the greatest and not the best ), Silicone on my tank was not terrible and certainely nothing a razor blade and a few extra minutes would not take care of ( I also have an oceanic That was purchased new and also came with a little sloppy silicone FWIW). My tank will be an in-wall display so the seams and such will be completely covered and a non-issue, If I was going for a rimless or the clean euro look I would certainely consider a differant manufacturer. I have also read an awful lot about poor customer service, I have found this not to be the case for me in fact quite the opposite, after the puchase ( keeping in mind I'm third party now not the original purchaser) I called them to see if I could get the acrylic overflow covers, The lady on the phone was very nice and did all she could do to get them made up and on my doorstep within 4 days and even a return phone call to make sure they were correct! ( I deal with an awful lot of people each day and I"ll say this you can get a lot more done with sugar than spice :) ) As far as the warranty goes Its certainly not the greatest in the industry ,But I also look at it this way the person that sold me the tank told me nightmare stories of at least three people on the day of pickup were the tanks did not even make it to there final destination before they were broken from some form of a moving mishap, Of the three people how many do think tried to call the company for a replacment at the companies expense, and that is one stop do the math and look at a delivery schedule and times it by the year and you get a rough idea of how many times a year this scenario could potentially take place, IMO I would quess this is a better part of the reason for such a warranty and to keep there pricing low. Is it right or is it wrong well that is your decision in purchasing a tank through them. Good Luck as always ,Jim

IMO the reason for the warrantee is simple,
In a business like this the warrantee comes down to attorneys and insurance companies. When determining their risk an insurance company will look at industry standard losses, companies track record and potiential for damage resulting in a failure.
Another factor is weather or not they cover your losses resulting in a failure in addition to the tank itself.
When it comes time to cut cost warrantee/ insurance is a good place to start (well money wise a good place). Honestly judging by the number of complaints and assuming that claims follow proportionately, I'd say they couldn't afford to offer a warrantee that competes with some of the more reputable companies.

I know everyone wants to believe they are getting the highest quality tank available from them, but be reasonable it's not 1/3 the cost for no reason.

Last edited:
Do you have some first hand experience with Glass Cages? Just curious cause that's your 3rd anti-GC post in this thread, so if there is some specific info you can share with us, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

I did alot of research and found by far more concerns and issues with GC. My only intent here is to play a card of concern so people if they do buy from them have some perspective and also to cause them to research further for themselves to make a decision beyond I can get a bigger tank for less money. Normally you get what you pay for.

I don't care what company out there is making & selling tanks.....I really don't trust them unless they have been in for the long haul. (at least as long as I've been in this hobby & that is a very long time!!) I've been burned buying a used tank too!!!! Never again!!! The one I got was less than a year old too!! (& it replaced one that I had originally bought new!!)
My feeling is most companys that have been building tanks for a short time just don't have it down when it comes to overflows & rims...From what I've seen out there!!! JMO don't roast me!!:eek:

Hey Ya know everyone has an opinion and your certainly entitled to it, I certainly agree with Mark and Ed in the fact that you get what you pay for, you can't expect a beautiful perfect show tank for the prices they offer, I think the question most are asking is ,is it a good value for the buck and that to me is left to the eye of the beholder, Again just my opinion not looking for arguments keep the flames down Please, I will say this though if anyone out there is seriously considering purchasing one of there tanks your are certainly welcome to come over and veiw there workmanship first hand and make judgement for yourself my tank will be emtpy for a couple more weeks .

The main factor that influenced me to buy the rimless tank from them was the fact that the glass alone locally (~20 different quotes) was the same cost as the fully built tank from them. Not to mention the fact that I will not have to deal with drilling it... It wouldnt be fun to redo, but so long as the glass arrives in tact I got a decent deal. I have done a fair bit of research on rimless tanks built by GC, and havent seen anything that would make me think twice about ordering. Maybe someone else has?

Hey Ya know everyone has an opinion and your certainly entitled to it, I certainly agree with Mark and Ed in the fact that you get what you pay for, you can't expect a beautiful perfect show tank for the prices they offer, I think the question most are asking is ,is it a good value for the buck and that to me is left to the eye of the beholder, Again just my opinion not looking for arguments keep the flames down Please, I will say this though if anyone out there is seriously considering purchasing one of there tanks your are certainly welcome to come over and veiw there workmanship first hand and make judgement for yourself my tank will be emtpy for a couple more weeks .

Jim, That's a nice offer for people out there interested in or considering a CG!!;) BTW...My quote wasn't directed to you at all. I told Ed to buy a "production tank" & I keep telling him that since he began this upgrade project. I have yet to see a non "Production" tank I like in Glass. Acrylic...That is a whole other story...I've seen bunches of customs in acrylic I like....I just am not a fan of acrylic due to scratching. (the overflow thing is still an issue to me though)

Delivery date is approaching quickly :)
Anyone interested in sharing truck space for the trip home? Our new toy won't fit in our car so I'm looking at either renting a van or renting space in someone's vehicle. Willing to help load / unload.

Back