Overflow question

Fat Guy

Non-member
Happy "pre-turkey" day all,

I've got a quick question about overflows. What kind of overflow would you recommend for a 29g tank draining to a 10g sump? Would 750Gph be too much?

Also, would a Mag 5 or 7 in sump provide an adequate return with to that overflow?

Thanks all,

gobble gobble gobble

go LIONS!!

An overflow will only drain as much water as your return pump returns to the tank, up to the max capacity of the return. So if you got a 750gph overflow, any pump up to 750gph (AFTER accounting for head loss and friction loss) will work for your return pump. Either Mag5 or 7 should work fine for the 750gph overflow. You can check the flow curve for those pumps on line.

Nate

I have an Amiracle Overflow rated at 600 with a Mag 7 return. The return is split in 2. Output from each back corner. If you could do the 750 it would be awsome. With the Mag 7 the overflow would handle it.

Man, you guys are wicked quick!!
Thanks for the feedback.

Scott, I was thinking about drilling the tank. But, just don't know if I'll have time. I'm the guy that bought the 65 from Ray then realized I would be way over budget...grr. So 29 for me...for now. Anyway, I hear your busy, but I'll pay you to drill the tank and build an acryllic overflow like you were going to for the bigger tank. If you're too busy, that's cool. I'll probably just go with the overflow then.

Thanks again all.

<here turkey turkey turkey........> :D

Back