Pacific Sun Hyperion S LED review

wdebenedettojr

BRS Member
So I finally upgraded from my no name brand leds. I will say the no name brand (Chinese knock off) LEDs worked surprisingly well and I got good growth with my sps and lps. Gonna start off saying I would like to consider myself pretty good with any kind of technology but i have 6 right thumbs and not very handy lol. I have a standard size 90 gallon tank (48"x18"x24"). I purchased a Hyperion S 2 x 145 watt led panel with no white LEDs from Archit @ Love the Reef (also got the basic hanging kit that comes with it). I picked it up last wednesday so I have been running it for a week now and my corals seem to be adjusting well.

So the light was packaged very well and the USA distributor, Yorgos with Imagine an Ocean (based out of Beverly, MA), double checked the boxes when they arrived at his place to ensure that all the equipment was there and in working order which is always appreciated! I was expecting the light to have some weight to it considering it is about 40 inches long but it is light considering the size. I opted for the black color vs the white and I think it looks very sharp and sleek. The hanging kit is pretty simple, sleek, and modern looking. However for someone like me that is not very handy having and instruction booklet would be nice. The small plastic packaging it came in does have a picture on the front of it but isn't that detailed. I spent about 20 minutes going crazy because I couldn't figure out to to attach the hanging kit to the actual light before I realized there is a screw that had to be unscrewed to attach to the light. lol, I bet the majority of people let alone people that are handy could have figured it out right away it just wasn't clicking with me right away, can't really blame that one on Pacific Sun user error on my behalf lol. Once I figured out how to attach the kit to the light it was very simple to mount which I was proud of myself for doing. They give you a ton of wire to hang the light from whatever height which is nice.

So now to the good part.....actually playing with the light!!! The light comes with 2 power packs that connect to the actual fixture with a 5 prong connector. This is probably why the fixture is so light because the power packs do have some weight to them. On the back of the fixture there is a switch that has 3 positions that are off, fixture on but screen off, and everything on. There is also a button on the back of the fixture that you can press and hold which will put the light in "manual mode." Once you plug the light in the light must be put into a default state at the factory so that comes on right away.

Programming
This is the only part of the light that I don't 100% enjoy. The fixture comes with a start up disk. I should start with saying the fixture is controlled via bluetooth and has only an Android app right now. I assume the disk is the program for the computer to control the fixture but I wouldn't know because the disk only works on Windows machines and I have a Mac. Since I have an iPhone I can't download an app to control the fixture either which is a little disappointing. On pacific sun's website you can download the "driver" for the windows machines also. Fortunately, Pacific Sun is working on a program for Macs, OSX, right now so they do have a beta download that does allow you to connect to the fixture from that. So I downloaded the beta and I was having some issues with getting the fixture to pair with my computer. Long story short the fixture has a 4 digit code (1234) that you have to use to pair it. Im not sure if that disk explains that or if there is paperwork inside the light that says it but I could not find it in the packaging, I had to find that on pacific suns website which was a little aggravating but quick fix nonetheless. Once I had the fixture paired with my computer I went into the beta program and began adjusting the light. I was having a hard time adjusting the colors of each LED via the computer. I am not sure if this was because it was technically only a beta programming or if the light itself wasn't reading my adjustments. Since I was getting frustrated with that part I pulled out my girlfriends old windows laptop to see if I could install whatever was on the disk onto her computer to use a full program vs the beta. Long story short the disk wouldn't download onto my GF's computer, however I am 99.9% sure that is because her computer was old and sucks so not the fault of pacific sun. I went back to my Mac at this time. Before I continued I rebooted my machine to see if that helped. After the reboot I opened the program and connected seamlessly to the fixture. I began adjusting the colors to my liking which is really cool since I am use to just the plain white/blue leds with no controllability. I settled on a more 20k look, almost like a turquoise color which makes my corals look awesome!!!! The moonlights on this fixture are super powerful and look amazing. I originally had them at 15% but I realized that was too bright for moonlights so I dropped it to 2% which is much much better. I started the intensity at 30% at Achits recommendation as to not burn my corals with the adjustment. Since this fixture does not have white leds, the tank looks darker then most are use too but you can definitely tell the intensity is powerful its very deceiving. Even at 30% the tank gave an awesome shimmering look just like halides do which look just awesome. I expected my corals to stay closed up for a few days getting use to the new lights but the next day the corals were all fully open and looked extremely happy. I have since adjusted the intensity up to 50% and I plan on getting up to about 75% total slowly. I have a 90 minute ramp up (sun rise)/ ramp down (sun down) time frame which is very cool; my old fixture wasn't controllable like that so its new to me. The day after I installed the fixture and initially set the settings I wanted to change the ramp times so I connected my mac to the fixture seamlessly. Again, I am not sure of this because I am using the beta mac program, but when I paired the lights the second day I expected the program to display the settings I had set but it didn't, it was all at default. I bet with the windows version, which archit did recommend to me to initially use a window machine and he assured me it is much easier to control on an android phone or windows machine, of the program it will display this. So thinking my fixture didn't retain my programs I set I redid everything. After I redid everything I was in the time frame of being in the middle of my ramp up time frame so I expected the light to be in the ramp up mode but it didn't, it went full blast. I reset the fixture and reset the program again to see if that fixed the programming issue but it didn't so I was stumped on this part. I had to go to work so I left for the day and came home at night. I made it a point to watch the ramp down program when I got home to see if the fixture held what I set it to do which it did slowly ramp down, next morning it ramped up no problem. I assume that because I tried adjusting the fixture during a ramp up program that it doesn't calculate where it needs to begin in the middle of the ramp up after the settings were changed.

Colors of the corals are just unreal with this fixture. Makes everything just pop like crazy. Corals seem to love it, ever since I installed the fixture all my acans always have their feeding tentacles out and are super puffy. I assume its because of just the lights because I didn't change anything else or feed any different food. My SPS seem to have colored up a little bit ever since the fixture change also. The controllability of these lights are amazing, you can adjust the color pretty much to anyones liking. You can definitely tell the difference between a no name brand led fixture that I had to this fixture, its not even a comparison; these fixtures blow them out of the water. Like I said before I am only at 55% intensity right now and it lights up the tank perfectly. I turned the intensity up to 100% just to see what the tank will look like and damn, it was very very bright and gave an unbelievable shimmering effect. I have my light customized to a turquoise-ish color and it looks just like what you would see off a reef in all those cool national geographic magazines.

I am very much enjoying these lights and strongly recommend them to anyone. I know there are a few other people on here that have the same fixture as me so if they could put their 2 cents in that would be cool too.

Cant say enough good things about Archit either. I spent about 5 months researching which fixture I wanted to upgrade to and had a lot of questions about the hyperions. Archit answered all my questions over those 5 months with always a smiling face, don't know how he kept a smiling face though because i had so many ?? and I knew it was annoying. He helped me settle on the Hyperions and I'm glad he suggested them. I should note that when I picked them up from Archit, he offered to help me program them since he knew I didn't have a windows machine to do it on my own. Me, being stubborn and male, refused the help and figured I would just use the mac beta thinking I would be fine; my own stupidity. When I was initially having programming issues archit even offered to come to my house to help me with it too, where can you get service like that???? Thanks again Archit!

So I would rate the fixture at a 9.5/10. I won't take any points off for me just being dumb about the hanging kit at the beginning but I do take some points off for the programming issues. I would think since Macs are really really popular nowadays that Pacific Sun would have a grand master program not just a beta. It is also very disappointing that there isn't an IOS app either since iPhones are also incredibly popular. I contacted pacific sun directly about the software stuff, which is located in Poland, and they got back to me via email very quickly. The person I spoke to explained that a grand master Mac software should be completed within the next month or two. They also said that there is an issue with the way the fixture communicates that IOS doesn't support and thats why there is no IOS app, however I have heard that somehow they are developing an IOS app but won't be released anytime soon. So for all you android users out there your all set lol. I do wish these were apex ready since I do have an apex; would be nice to just control them via my apex. Programming really isn't the "meat" part of the light anyways. We don't buy lights to just program them lol, we buy them to grow our corals and make them look cool. Well so far the colors the light creates is awesome and my corals look awesome too. I can't comment on growth yet since I have had it only a week; I will update this thread in a few months.

Here are some pictures of the fixture... pac sun 1.jpgpac sun 2.jpgpac sun 3.jpg

Excellent review!

I have the same light fixture and agree with what you have said.
Archit was a huge help for me too (extremely patient and knowledgeable too :) )
Yorgos was also great, he even made a house call (within the hour of being contacted).

I can comment a little bit on growth/coral health (I have had my light since June-ish).
Since making the switch to the Hyperion S from VHO, the color of my corals and the extension of polyps has been excellent (way better than before). My Hammer corals are nice and plump and my zoas multiply quickly.
I haven't had any bleaching and/or loss of color. I also haven't experienced the orange-ification of my acans (I will continue to keep watch).
The light also reaches the bottom of my deep tank (30") with great success (this is where I keep most hammers, acans, and wellso brain).

This is what I have my color settings on:
Color Settings1.jpg

I have the Hyperion S as well. I bought it from Yorgos at Imagine an Ocean. He installed it and set up the software on my computer. I love the controllability and how the coral looks under the lights. I had it set up on my Mac and the software was a little buggy. Works fine if you leave the software open. If you close it you have to reset your program. Not a big deal since it is easy to do. I also like the preset light setting for 10k, 18k, etc. Moon phase is pretty cool but bright...I set it at 1%.

My Mac broke so I switched it to an older PC. Same issue with the settings being reset every time you close the program. While you can easily control each color on the PC I miss the preset light settings on the Mac.

Overall I am happy with the fixture and the great customer support from Yorgos.

Great review. I've been thinking of the 4x39 t5; 3x75watt led Hybrid (forget what the model is)

Pretty sure that's the pandora. I looked at that fixture but elected not to get it because I don't need the extra light spread from the t5's.

I just purchased mine from Archit. He is very helpful. I was very indecisive about what light and went back and forth. He answers every question. I'll let you know how I like mine

Thank for you the kind words guys.

Just a quick note since I saw many of you guys had this issue -- when you connect the lamp, you need to click on the "Probe" button to read the settings from the lamp. I have provided PacificSun feedback regarding this so hopefully in the future they'll have an "auto-read" option :)

- Archit

When I first set up the PacSun fixture I won at a BRS meeting I had the same issues with the hanging system and the blue-tooth pairing code. The hanging kit Yorgos told me via email how to get it working; the pairing code I just guessed a few times and finally got it. Two very simple issues that could be addressed either at PacSun or by Yorgos/Archit including a quick install document (one pager).

Just a quick note since I saw many of you guys had this issue -- when you connect the lamp, you need to click on the "Probe" button to read the settings from the lamp. I have provided PacificSun feedback regarding this so hopefully in the future they'll have an "auto-read" option

I was going to mention the PROBE / READ solution; it appears that PacSun doesn't want to download/transfer all the settings from the light until you request them. Don't hold your breath about that being fixed though. I emailed Yorgos and PacSun over a year ago with a number of issues and suggestions for the software and never saw anything implemented or changed. This included:

- The reloading of settings when re-starting the software. It's not clear, or consistent, that you need to click PROBE/READ in multiple locations in order for the software to query the current settings of the lights. Even the text on the buttons isn't the same between screens.
- Tool-tips (the help that pops up when you hover over a button/control) are in a foreign language. Most of the buttons/labels were English.
- Other things that I can't recall at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, the fixture was awesome, the software was very good overall, and Yorgos helped as much as he could. It's just that PacSun could resolved these issues with minimal work/time and not get dinged for simple stuff.

If I ever get back into the hobby I'd definitely be looking at whatever PacSun has to offer.

When I first set up the PacSun fixture I won at a BRS meeting I had the same issues with the hanging system and the blue-tooth pairing code. The hanging kit Yorgos told me via email how to get it working; the pairing code I just guessed a few times and finally got it. Two very simple issues that could be addressed either at PacSun or by Yorgos/Archit including a quick install document (one pager).

I was going to mention the PROBE / READ solution; it appears that PacSun doesn't want to download/transfer all the settings from the light until you request them. Don't hold your breath about that being fixed though. I emailed Yorgos and PacSun over a year ago with a number of issues and suggestions for the software and never saw anything implemented or changed. This included:

- The reloading of settings when re-starting the software. It's not clear, or consistent, that you need to click PROBE/READ in multiple locations in order for the software to query the current settings of the lights. Even the text on the buttons isn't the same between screens.
- Tool-tips (the help that pops up when you hover over a button/control) are in a foreign language. Most of the buttons/labels were English.
- Other things that I can't recall at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, the fixture was awesome, the software was very good overall, and Yorgos helped as much as he could. It's just that PacSun could resolved these issues with minimal work/time and not get dinged for simple stuff.

If I ever get back into the hobby I'd definitely be looking at whatever PacSun has to offer.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with Archit or yorgos doing anything wrong, it's pacsun at the "corporate" level. Seems like yorgos and Archit get stuck answering a bunch of easy fix questions that pacsun could address very simply. One would think that since these fixtures are the high end of LEDs that there should be no bugs or small issues like this, almost like a lack of attention to detail.

Like you said though, once you set it up lights are sweet.

My only suggestion to PAC sun on these lights would be to fix these minor software glitches. They have a number of different light models which is cool but I think they need to perfect the software first.

Ok time to bump this up. Been a month since the upgrade.

The good first: Since the upgrade it seems that my Acans, frogspawn, and hammer coral are adjusting the best to the new light. I had a single head acan which had browned out (i had for about 4 months before the upgrade) that refused to start growing which was weird considering all my other acans are doing awesome. Since the month of these new lights that acan has started growing 4 new good size heads and the color has 100% fully come back from when I purchased it from archit months ago. My other LPS are nice and big, fat, and fluffy. My red planet and shortcake frag seemed to had stalled in growth prior to the lighting upgrade. Since the upgrade my red planet has a solid inch new encrusting growth and my shortcake is finally growing two new branches! My other SPS seem to be adjusting very well also, lots of new growth on them too. I am not sure if its because of the ramp up/ramp down times or not (just my theory) but my pH has been incredibly stable since the lighting change. I didn't change a single thing so it leads me to believe its because of that. I went back to my 30 day history in my apex and my pH has only fluctuated from 8.08-8.21 in the last month alone. Before the fixture my pH always use to be about 8.05-8.3 over the course of a day.

The bad/stupidity part: So archit told me to start the lights at 30% to prevent burning and of course I only listened for a week. Within a week I had the intensity up 75% because I thought my corals were use to the bright LEDs from my old fixture. Wrong! So I nuked 90% of my xenia and my green lobo started to bleach also. I turned the lights back down to 50% immediately and the lobo has recovered about 75% of what it was, xenias not so much. I had the fixture at 55% for almost 3 weeks before turning it up to 60% this weekend. So far so good, everything looks happy and healthy. I don't know if its a bad thing or not but ever since the upgrade, my armor of god zoas have been stretching upwards like they weren't getting enough light so I will have to monitor that. Its strange, just the armor of god colony of zoas seem to be doing this; i did frag them and they only started doing this after i fragged them so maybe thats it too. I was over archits last week and we were talking about the lights and he made a comment that no matter what he did, with the pac suns, the zoas always seem to stretch upwards for whatever reason. I should note though, even with the stretching, they are growing new polyps constantly so they seem happy. Back to the programming headaches again.... So for about 2 weeks straight now I have been trying to change my moonlight schedule. I can connect to the fixture seamlessly and change the settings no problem however the fixture doesn't seem to retain the new moonlight time schedule. Archit suggested unplugging and plugging back in but that hasn't seemed to help either, I will keep trying to adjust. Its really not that big of a deal, Im just trying to cut the moonlight schedule down by 2 hours so i can deal with it.

Overall, I am still very happy with the light and still would suggest it. I will update in another month or so regarding growth.

Finally my tank is up and running now and I played around with my pacific sun settings. Currently at 30 percent. Sunrise and sunset at 45 min. The first 2-3 hours I have strictly on blues and then from 11-6 I increase the intensity to get the turquoise look and then rep back down to blues before lights shut off and then have IV moonlights from 10pm-7am. Still playing around with it and lights are amazing. I tried the Bali program but did not like it. Felt the intensity was too strong and was growing unwanted algae. I am transferring all my coral from old tank. Sad to say I think I lost my gold torch which sucks because it was huge and doing amazing. Guess I'll have to buy another from Archit and I also lost a free coral of xenia. My other corals are a little stressed but recovering. For the colors of coral themself. They look 100 better under new lights than the cheap led lights. I recommend pacfic sun 100 percent even though software has its glitches.

Hello everyone , I am considering getting a Pacific sun myself . very impressed with it . I think maybe the 4x39 and 2 75 leds ( price is a factor here ) Been talking to Archit about this a bit and he answers all my questions no problem even though some might give away the fact that I am new to reefing or even saltwater for that matter . But I will push on and get to where I need to be . Back to the light though . So what do you all think about having this light VS a T5 only set up as far as keeping algae groth and other unwanted stuff that occurs due to a lesser light ? I only want to do this once and will spring for the 145 leds if I can justify the need even if its not for a long time that I will need it . But if the 75's will do then so be it . Maybe I am overthinking this a bit but ........

Reef starter what size tank do you have? I went with the hyperion S 2 145 watt led. I went with these because I didn't want white led and like the turquoise look. I have very minimal algae growth right now. I have a little hair algae and diatom but CUC is taking care of it

I have a 90 gallon tank with mostly softies in it , but want to be able to keep SPS

I have a 90 gallon also. Like I said in the original post when I reviewed the light. I would strongly suggest to get the 145 watt panels vs the 75 watt panels though. The price isn't that huge.

Yeah archit made me go with the 145 and glad I did. Recommend the 75 if your not doing much coral and have smaller tank. Right now for his grand opening they are going to be on sale so good time to buy

I have a 90 gallon tank with mostly softies in it , but want to be able to keep SPS

No question, you should get the 145w panels....that way if you don't need the extra power you can turn them down, until you do...this will also extend the life of the light much more than running the 75w panels at full...and without a doubt do NOT get any LED with White in it...well worth the money to get the RIGHT light. I well every customer...buy the right thing ...not a bunch of wrong things...

Back