Paul's' new build..

The anemone is still alive but it's condition remains the same. It's color has improved though. It had turned a sickly grey but it's old peachy color has returned. The magnifica anemone looks, well magnificent. I will post a pic of it.

Sorry it took so long for this pic. I have been pretty busy and Mr Murphy has struck again with equipment failure. The Dialyseas, which is about 9 years old gave up the ghost last night. The conductivity was jumping all over the place so it just shuts itself down. After troubleshooting with the manufacturer it turns out to be the circuit board so I have sent it out for repair. There is a chance it can't be repaired and I will be up the creek then. The problem is that the Dialyseas makes my top off water. I can lug water home from work for a week or two but I will have to make another yucky decision about whether to replace the Dialyseas or just get an RO unit and return to manual water changes. The manufacturer wants me to wait for their new and improved model but I don't see how I can unless I can find a RO unit to hold me over. Anyway here is the anemone.
mini-IMG_3480.JPG

Always the ying/yang thing. It is good the nem is looking better. Now you have to deal with the other issue.

Good luck! Paul

Oh man that sucks! that is a huge part of your puzzle

Let me know if you need anything I have a bunch of brute barrels if you need more water storage

Thanks. Luckily the lab I work in has a very large RO/DI unit for all it's instrumentation. I can tell I'm getting older because that 5 gallon bucket of water seems to weigh a lot more than it used to. I hope I don't have to do this for very long.

Thanks so much but I just this minute got the one on the Dialyseas to work manually. It has a selenoid and a diverter valve controlled by the now broken computer. Once I figured out what tube was going where I disconnected the tubing to those valves and installed one that I can turn on and off myself. I just have to set a timer so I don't flood the basement! Thank you for your offer though.
I have been giving a lot of thought to what I shall do if the Dialyseas cannot be repaired. I'm looking at the Genesis auto water changer and I like what I see. Its not as easy as the Dialyseas because you have to make up your fresh salt water yourself and I'm spoiled rotten by not having to do that. But I would save $4000. So that's a big incentive to find an alternative.

Well, it's official the Dialyseas is dead. The circuit board is fried and it can't be replaced. I will scavange it for the RO/DI unit and the two peristalic pumps. I can't complain I got my moneys worth out of it, 9 years. So it looks like my new tank renovations are going to be more extensive than I anticipated. I have ordered a seleonoid auto shut off from Spectrapure and a redundant float switch. I also ordered a Renew Pro water changer. I considered waiting for the new model Dialyseas to come out in December but decided I wanted a change. I like the idea of being able to program a large single water change or a small continuous one. When I get everything installed in a week or two I will post some pics.

Good Luck Paul!

Hope everything goes easy and as planned for you.

Nine years is good for an electronic part. Too bad you can't just print it out like a 3D printer on your own.

Paul......you are still king of the reef world in my eyes. After watching that video, its clear nothing can stop you. Most people would have called it quits after such a big loss, but not you. You are a true hobbyist and this tank now, is still the most gorgeous and well thought out reef i have ever seen in person. You motivate all of us to be better at this thing we love so much. Great job.

Great tank , I know mine wont ever be as beautiful . but what Lex said is true , never give up keep on keepin on . so many things about this hobby excite me and the challenge of keeping our tanks alive is one of the biggest parts I like , I even sort of enjoy the problems we encounter . Keeps us all on our toes and thinking

OMG I don't feel like a king for sure and you guys are gonna give me a big head. I was at Underwater World talking to Greg a few days ago saying I can't believe what I've been through the past 6 months. At this point the majority of my entire system has been done over! I started thinking if I would have gone through with it if I had known what I was in for. Yes, I would have. The problems just make me pigheaded determined. I'm stubborn as hell and I want my reef back. Plus I just enjoy it all too much.:biggrin:

I posted yesterday, but with being in northern NH there was something wrong with Verizon LTE.

Paul, first off thanks for taking the time to make and post this video. Like no two dogs that are from the same litter are not the same. Your tank may not be as great as it was. But knowing you and your passion your new tank is off to a great start and I would be willing to put money down that it will be better than your previous awesome tanks. So in short, my money is on you and to quote what I said yesterday (the post that did not go through due to my connection).

I see greatness in the works!

I cannot wait to see the tank in person again.

You have always been very gracious opening up your home for tank viewings in the past.

Just one and it was dead by morning. The other seems to have fought off the Ick but still isn't eating. If I could just get it to eat I think it could make it. Today I tried blood worms, brine shrimp, and more fish goo. I sent an email to the vendor demanding a refund. Don't know how far I'll get with that.

That is a bummer and I am sure we would all like to know how you make out in the end as well.

Back