Petco Ocean water!

Note that "This is me" was talking about a certain person. Not anyone else...

I can't say NSW is better or not as good as Synthetic Salt for sure in this matter.

Unless someone comes up with scientific proof on this I will say it still up in the air.

I'm am sure that our hobby has come such long way that some people would say that NSW is just a bust and a way for people to charge more and make people feel better.

Scientifically speaking, u can put any "trace elements" in synthetic salts as NSW has. Or damm close to it.

Now if ur tank does better with NSW, great. Not to make anyone upset or nothing, but probably less than 10% of successful reeffers in this hobby will ever attest to NSW being used or being the reason why they have such success in the hobby. It is not just feasible, or necessary to use it with how far the hobby has come.

Higor
Sent from my Galaxy S4

The whole purpose of this thread was for conversation. It was not meant to suggest either NSW or Salt mixes was the way to go. Just like some people use IO and others use Red Sea Coral Pro :).Each persons situation is different and we all have our opinions. Getting a conversation about it is interesting. Thank you all for posting your opinions and thoughts!

As for the person who gives misinformation, we are all on the same page about that person.

I personally feel like Petco water isn't worth it. Synthetic salts have grown massive coral colonies and kept wild and domestic fish/coral healthy for decades.

Not to mention, at far less than $1 a gallon for saltwater (depending on if you buy it from an LFS or mix it yourself), it's FAR cheaper too.
I suppose if you don't have any corals, have a tank less than 5 gallons in size, and don't mind paying extra cash for something you can get cheaper, then it's decent.

But far beyond that point, it's Petco, and i'd rather not ever give them my money. Cruelty to animals is not my thing.

I used to use IO Reef Crystals with great results (still do in the 5g pico) but in the 40g I now use Seachem Salinity (since it's free for me) and still have fantastic results. Look up the chemical makeup of their salt vs. others. It's impressive.

If you have to buy expensive natural water, then add all these supplements just to keep coral alive and healthy, is it worth it? Not to mention, you never know the chance of bad stuff that could be in that water.
0 TDS RO/DI and an exact salinity mixed by myself gives me the piece of mind I prefer.

I know everything I just said, was already said, lol. So IDKY I really even resaid it. Guess to just throw my own experience in.

That being said, owning a 5g pico that barely needs any water for the WC, maybe I will try a box of this just once and see if I too notice a change in anything. If I can get it for under $18 that is... Lol.
What's the salinity inside the box?

Last edited:
"I used to use IO Reef Crystals with great results (still do in the 5g pico) but in the 40g I now use Seachem Salinity (since it's free for me) and still have fantastic results. Look up the chemical makeup of their salt vs. others. It's impressive."

Just looked up Seachem Salinity. It is impressive and I guess you can not beat free!!!:D

The only thing I dislike about it is that it has so many additives that when you mix the water, it literally bubbles and gets hot from chemical reaction so if you like to hand mix like me, you can get a mean chemical burn. Lol. Live and learn. I was told it's from the magnesium but idk. But yeah if it's free it's for me! Lol. I still prefer I though if I need to buy one. It's cheap and works lol. Didn't know Red Sea PRO was from evaporated sea water. Very interesting info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

When I bought the box of water that started this thread, I got it for $11.99 in the Woburn Petco.

Is the store price cheaper?

Saltcrazy, what type of salt? That's a pretty decent deal.

Nice $50 a bucket for that is a good price. With free shipping I'm assuming cuz it's $50? I feel like their salt mixes the cleanest. Seachem Salinity always leaves a nasty pile of Grey dirt in my buckets.

Nice $50 a bucket for that is a good price. With free shipping I'm assuming cuz it's $50? I feel like their salt mixes the cleanest. Seachem Salinity always leaves a nasty pile of Grey dirt in my buckets.

You should try a batch of ESV salt, that mixes with no residue at all. I have been using it the past year and love it. The mixing is more steps than a normal salt but does not take an extra time from when I was using Coral Pro after making adjustments. I have no left over residue in my bucket or mixing pump. I make 30 gallons at a time and use that up in about 4-5 weeks (I keep it mixing the entire time), its about $85 for 200 gallon mix. I mix everything by weight except the water. I fill my Brute up a little less than 30 gallons, then add the first component and walk a way. When I remember later that day I add the second and do the same. The last two I add probably 5 minutes apart. let it sit then top it off to 1.026. The parameters are spot on every time as you add each individually by weight or volume.

ESV is a good salt. I use Salinity because of its stability in the mixture. I wouldn't say it gets hot but it does generate a little heat but barely noticable from my experience. I add it slowly as well as I find that it mixes much better and super clear so that may cut down on the heat generation too.

If anyone buys the Petco Ocean Water, right now until 6pm EST, everything in the store is 30% off plus free shipping.

http://www.petco.com/product/11884/Petco-Real-Ocean-Water.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

I ordered 80g of this Petco Catalina Water in April. It is great. However I notice they have jumped up the prices. It was 12.99 for 5g and 24.99 for 10g. Although I paid 4.99 shipping so still about the same overall price. More expensive than salt mixes but great product and long shelf life. Good for safety or convenience.

Back