Pissed!!

mark429

Non-member
I was in need of a 300 gph pump ASAP because my skimmer has been dead for a few days and needed the new pump, but my favorite LFS didn't have one in stock. So I went to a sponser of the Boston reefers and they charged me a $99 for a mag 3 pump!!!! There was a tag on it for $147 and as a "specia"l it was only $99. I'm pissed! Just had to vent and say watch out

I was in need of a 300 gph pump ASAP because my skimmer has been dead for a few days and needed the new pump, but my favorite LFS didn't have one in stock. So I went to a sponser of the Boston reefers and they charged me a $99 for a mag 3 pump!!!! There was a tag on it for $147 and as a "specia"l it was only $99. I'm pissed! Just had to vent and say watch out

You can go a few days without a skimmer. Your tank wont crash.
Some people here dont even run a skimmer.

I went 2 weeks without a skimmer. I jsut changed 8 gallons of water instead of the usual 5, then i found a good deal and bought a new skimmer.

Yeah but I don't know when the skimmer stopped. I thought it had been working but I was running gfo for phosphates and carbon but my tank was getting nasty in a week so I went to clean everything and realized my skimmer pump wasn't working so I needed to replace it

Do a lot of water change and can last you for weeks without a skimmer. If you have a lot of fish, add a strong air pump untill you get the new pump.

I already bought the pump, based on the fact that my tank has been running great with the skimmer I'm not taking the chance of running without it

Get over it. The 30$ you would've saved is really not that much in this hobby to risk the well being of your tank and the sanity of yourself.

Get over it. The 30$ you would've saved is really not that much in this hobby to risk the well being of your tank and the sanity of yourself.

30 bucks may not seem like a lot but if they do that to 100 people or continue to do it then it will add up. Plus if a place is going to be a sponsor and be known as reputable they should be just that. I may still be new to this hobby but I have had plenty of other hobbies where where getting screwed has added up. It's the principle of the matter, not the monetary value.

I'm not the one to talk about sponsors but I highly doubt that we can tell our sponsors how much to sell their goods for.
It's your responsibility to do the research before leaving the house to get what you need. A couple of key strokes on the computer would bring the price of the pump.

if you go into the store and give them your money you only have yourself to be pi$$ed at. if you think theyr a ripoff don't help them stay in buisness,it's your choice

If its the only place in your area that has the pump that you need and can't wait what are you suppose to do? I knew what the costs of the pumps are but couldn't afford to wait to order one

Did you try and ask if anybody had one on here. Or maybe one that you could have borrowed until you got a new one. I would have been more than happy to lend you one and I am right next door to you. Remember you are part of a club and the members are willing to help when needed.

I knew what the costs of the pumps are but couldn't afford to wait to order one

So you paid $99 for a pump with a $!47 tag on it and you could have gotten it at Marine Depot for $64.99? The vendor, whoever they are, didn't hold you up and force you to buy it. It was your choice. You could have easily gone several weeks without a skimmer if you did an extra water change and feed lighty. There are plenty of tanks without skimmers that do fine. I went 10 days when my Bubble Blaster pump for my skimmer was being was replaced under warranty. Relax, breath deeply.

Last edited:
Im all for supporting our sponsors but gotta shop around a bit in this hobby prices vary greatly. Im sure someone had a mag pump you could have borrowed until you got one, heck I bet someone would have given you one

Well without BRS sponsors you wouldn't have this forum to complain about them. But then again you had a few days to shop around, so maybe there are a few more fingers pointing in another direction.

Oh and I will watch out. I know exactly what to watch out for, and it isn't a store that did not misrepresent itself.

Last edited:
Back