Probably a dumb question.............

myram

MAINEULTRACLASSIC
Coming back into the hobby from an extended break and with a FOWLR background, I'm starting to buy some coral frags for my tank at the LFS. They come on those ceramic discs or other type of disc which works great in their display, but crappy in my tank.

So my question is this..............What do you do with them when you get home?

I'd like to use a razor blade and take the frag off the plug nice and clean, then adhere it to my LR somehow. Is that possible? And if so, what do you use to adhere them to the LR? I have a stick of the epoxy stuff, but I've also heard super glue works too.

My frags in question are a Duncan and a Candy Cane.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

i use a piece of epoxy and a small dab of super glue gel on either side of the putty. the putty i use is called waterweld its by jb weld and can be bought at home depot i have not seen it at lowes

The Loctite brand of super glue gel from Home Depot or Walmart works well, and you can reuse the tube over and over until it runs out.

OK, so I can take a razor and shave off the coral from the plug. Put a bunch of super glue gel on the bottom of the coral, and stick it to my rock, hold it for 30 seconds or so, and it's done?

The super glue will cure underwater?

I have a tube of the gel super glue from HD already, so I'll use that.

Steve

Depends what your trying to get off a plug but in most cases you can just shave it off. Your glueing idea is correct and yes it will cure underwater. You don't need a ton of glue just enough to make it work. Also try not to get glue on the fleshy parts of the coral, or on your fingers:).

Yea the Duncan and the Candy cane you can just shave off the plug where the farmer glued it down. Both of those corals will be easier than some others because there should be older dead skeleton on the bottom of the corals where the glue is.

Also I try to stick to the super glue gel, as it is thicker thus has less running, and you need to use less of it.

GL!!

Jordan

Great question, I learned a couple great techniques I didn't even think to ask, I thought that I just had to put up with the base and did my best to hide it, hahaha. So your "dumb question" helped some dumb tries at hiding those damned holders!!! HAHAHA

Great question, I learned a couple great techniques I didn't even think to ask, I thought that I just had to put up with the base and did my best to hide it, hahaha. So your "dumb question" helped some dumb tries at hiding those damned holders!!! HAHAHA

They always say "the only dumb question is the one you never ask"........so true.

Thanks everyone, I'll work on that this week. Only 2 frags to do, and I might stick them to a piece of rubble rock instead of my big pieces.

Steve

Back