randys 2 part caution from randy himself

BIG concern about this two part

Will the fish eat the cookie crumbs from off the baking sheet,after I bake the baking soda for the Alk part?:p

I am going to agree with Dave, I have been dosing RHF for about 2 1/2 years with flawless results(other than 2 issues with the dosing pump). I am going to make the change to the reactor soon but am not looking forward to all the tweaking and such to get things as stable as they have been for such a long time.

Sorry Dave, that comment wasn't directed at you, just a general comment. That's why I spaced it from the question. Each individual should use what they are comfortable with imo.

Not at all Don, I know you're cool, just making conversation. :)

I am going to agree with Dave, I have been dosing RHF for about 2 1/2 years with flawless results(other than 2 issues with the dosing pump). I am going to make the change to the reactor soon but am not looking forward to all the tweaking and such to get things as stable as they have been for such a long time.

That's what I'm talking about, easy as pie, and consistent like you read about.

Will the fish eat the cookie crumbs from off the baking sheet,after I bake the baking soda for the Alk part?:p

And don't forget after eating those holiday cookies you should eat some snow from your walkway. Thats assuming you are getting the full value from your Dow and melting ice with it. Oh and of course assuming you feel the need to be balanced also.

Thanks bud I see you're still working with the photo shop on your's
But seriously ...just upload it the glare isn't that bad.:D

I agree with Dave and Kevin on this - to others I say, don't knock it unless you've tried it. I've been dosing 2 part for 3 years on my 350 - works like a charm. I've never had any issues with salinity. I've had many other problems in the tank:(, but not with the 2 part. The main reason I don't want a calcium reactor is because I'm a techno-phobe - I've read about too many failures to feel comfortable setting it up. Another reason is when I travel and have someone watch the tank, this is one less point of failure. I have tons of Dow Flake stored up - hopefully it will last me a very long time until someone comes up with another DIY solution.:)

And that's my 2 cents after being out of the loop for so long!!

Daire

Haha....let's see, what can I buy with all that cashola?? The old stuff is gonna be like gold now. I should go count my 5g buckets to see how much I really have.

I just read the actual letter from Dow that Randy posted on RC. That letter came out in 2005. Is it possible that we've been using the impure stuff for the past two years and haven't even noticed? I don't think I'm going to worry about this.

I just read the actual letter from Dow that Randy posted on RC. That letter came out in 2005. Is it possible that we've been using the impure stuff for the past two years and haven't even noticed? I don't think I'm going to worry about this.

oh you mean you don't have the original bags with the date codes on??
you had better let me take it to be on the safe side:D

you should be fine Daire it seems the Dow supply on the shelves now is a year or 2 in arrears

No bags....so I guess I'll just have to wing it! I'm not going to lose any sleep over this - there are too many other things in my tank that I lose sleep over (like leaking bulkheads and overflow boxes!). I don't use ozone, so that's a plus I guess. Now this gives me reason to never set it up [again].:)

There was an addendum to the first letter stating the change would be put off until the end of '06 instead of '05. Most people seem to be ok unless you bought the Dowflake late in '07.

actually, I want a bag of the new Dowflake with Bromide in it. So that I don't need to worry about dosing bromide.

"One can test for a bromide ion by adding dilute nitric acid (HNO3), then silver nitrate (AgNO3). A cream precipitate forms that disappears in concentrated ammonia solution."

Could something like this be used to test bromide levels in our systems???

Too much chloride in seawater, IMO. It also precipitates with silver ion.

Back