Refugium question

Lilys

BRS Member
I want to put a refugium on my IMpro. 40 so I got a small cpr aquafuge hang on one. Is it place right or should it be closer to the the tank? And now that I bought it, is it overkill and an Intank basket with light in the back chamber would have been sufficient ?
Thank you and that brand new unused fuge might be for sale soon

Attachments

• 5C603938-62C3-420B-A85D-28CBF31B90A1.jpeg
    5C603938-62C3-420B-A85D-28CBF31B90A1.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 55D01167-7E75-46AA-B825-281B72A18C9A.jpeg
    55D01167-7E75-46AA-B825-281B72A18C9A.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 146
A fuge is better than no fuge at all... And as far as I can tell and in my experience and there's no negative from having too big or too much in a fuge... I would just go with the reverse lighting schedule to help keep a more consistent pH...

I also prefer the look in the back of the tank but not sure if it's on the side because it doesn't fit but also doesn't really matter with it being on the side shouldn't effect how it works...

There is no place in the back, except for a basket, we are just not sure if the unit should be closer to the tank and if a basket in the back would be safer?

Just want to grow chaeto and pods, still need to know if it’s close enough to the tank set that way? Or should it be closer there is not much info on installation

Not sure how it hangs on but usually there’s some kind of bracket that goes over the tank rim. If so you want push the fuge as far away as you can until that bracket is resting against the rim then use the bottom screws to level it off.

Yes it’s all there but no info on how close to the tank it should be

Should the unit be closer to the glass? Or it’s ok the way it is in the picture?

I’m starting to think I should sell it and just get a basket in the back.....

That’s what we did on the picture I was planning making a little table tablet under to support it and take some weight of the glass I just gave mixed up feelings about the whole thing now.... but I like that it holds 2.5 gal in water and really spacious for chaeto....

Those hang on refugiums used to be used with rimmed tanks. I’m not sure how comfortable I’d be with 10+ lbs hanging on the side of a 8mm thick rimless tank.

Tropical Isle Aquarium used one of those for many years on one of their frag tanks, if I remember correctly. It didn’t look bad in my opinion.

I run 2 larges, and 1 medium pretty actively on rim, rimless tanks filled with rock rubble as additional bio filtration for many years. You want to keep it close to the tank. The "power zone". If you can make it work running along side your sump, that would be where I put it. You can run a tube between the powerhead, and the intake to gain intake depth if needed. 5/16" ID tubing I think?
They do grow chaeto well with light.

At the end of the day it's more of a aesthetics thing then workable thing.

Back