Removing black trim peice from 20 gallon long?

Intheflesh

Non-member
jsut bought a 57 gallon rimless. call me OCD, but I want a rimless sump to match.

was thinking of removing the upper trim peice from my current sump, an AG 20 gallon long (30" x ~13" x ~13", 1/4" glass).

now im aware that the trim peice is there to keep the glass from bowing, but I was thinking that the glass baffles in the sump itself would help with the structural integrity if I were to remove the trim.

Thoughts?

The edges under the trim probably won't be finished so they are likely to be sharp/dangerous if you remove the trim.

I removed the trim on a AGA 20 before and added baffles and it was more than enough, wasn't sharp either

If you glue the baffles well thats more support than a black trim would ever add to the structural integrity of the tank. You could also make your own pseudo "euro-brace" too, I've also done that with a 10g AGA tank and it worked great.

If you cant see the sump, then why risk it?

If you CAN see it, then buy a 20 rimless.

I took the black trim from a 90 before. The glass wasnt great, but unless you put your hand right on it and moved it sideways you wouldnt get cut. I think the biggest issue here is a flod. You could always silicone some glass and make it nice and strong, but it probably wont look good.

My vote: DONT DO IT.

yea, i think im going to pass

I actually got a quote for a custom rimless for a sump and I just couldnt justify spending that kind of money. c'est la vie.

I think i'll keep it as is.

Back